Tuesday 18 Sept
Trip Start Sep 16, 2012
23Trip End Oct 06, 2012
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Once we finally got on the ship there was an amazing view from the stern (back of the ship).
We finally got to Alcatraz and got our audio devices for our audio tour.
We saw the cell house, isolation cells, the recreation yard, the wardens office, the tease site, the dining hall and a lot of other historical sites.
*The Battle of Alcatraz
- 6 prisoners were in this battle all attempting to escape
- the battle lasted 2 days
- the US military came in and supported the prison
- grenades were dropped by the military
- in the end 2 correctional officers were killed, 3 of the prisoners were killed, the lead prisoner is unknown and the other 2 prisoners that hid were later found and they were hanged
*The prison was never at its full capacity
*rule #35 states "you are only entitled to food, shelter, clothing and medical attention
*this prison was only used for 29 years
* the recreational yard is something that u hade to earn - if u were allowed to go out it was only once a week
*there was another escape attempt which took over 2 years worth of planning. They dug a hole in their cells through concrete using the end of spoons as a drill and knives as a hammer. Once the hole was finished they climed through it and up the pipes and they were then out. They say that this is the greats escape of all time. What happened to them??? Well nobody knows. Some say that they were teaching themselves Spanish so they went to South America whilst others say that they would of never made it through the threatening water conditions
* there were many other interesting facts but just too many to list
We then came back by the ferry and we had lunch at Eagle cafe. I had a cheeseburger and chips. We came back to the house and got ready to go out for the night.
The baseball was alright once I new what was going on. I got a pepperoni pizza for dinner. We also bought a pretzel but u didnt really like it. In the end we ended up leaving early - top of the 7. It was a really fun night and one more thing
Post your own travel photos for friends and family More Pictures & Videos
My Reviews Of The Places I've Seen