Lima's landscapes and cakes!

Trip Start Feb 06, 2012
Trip End Feb 29, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Peru  ,
Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Day 2

From the comfort of my bed, I was dreamingly recollecting last night's events while Michel teasingly kept trying to wake me up!   He was already up and running in our hotel’s bedroom and anxious to head out for breakfast!   Looking up at the clock, it was only 7:30am!     Nahhh….another five minutes I quickly told him while covering my head with my blanket!

Thinking back to last night’s events, "Bienvenidos al Perú" the familiar sign said at Lima’s International Airport as we waited patiently for our luggage to appear any minutes!  So, I was finally here, I said to myself and I was getting excited….excited to practice my Spanish….to plunge head first into the language that I’ve been learning for the last four months!  Should be interesting, I told myself!

Of course, I was also getting excited about the wedding and of my upcoming trip to Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands afterwards!  Plus, let’s not forget, I was anxious to see Fiorella whom I hadn’t seen for more than one month and her parents whom had accompanied her all this way to pick us up!

This time around, I told myself, there wouldn’t be any language barrier!  I was ready to have proper conversations without any sign language as I did before with her parents!  Estoy lista para hablar Espanol!  Well, I hoped so anyway!

As we crossed the airport’s gate and into the terminal, I felt just like a movie star seeing all the Peruvian people cheering and yelling as they all waiting for their loved ones to appear…..sorry to disappoint you guys if it was me instead!   Ha, ha, ha!   There must have been more than 200 people.   This place always amazes me I told Michel since  every time we’ve been here it’s always been like this, all these people, regardless of the time of day!   Quite a welcoming group!

Through the crowd, a familiar face suddenly appeared out of nowhere.  It was Fiorella.  Justin quickly greeted her with a warm embrace as we watched and waited patiently, which seemed more like minutes, for our turn to greet her!   Ha, ha, ha!    Hola!   

Fiorella’s parents, Walter and Charo were then greeted warmly and once out the airport’s doors, we all headed into the night in the direction of the van.  Throughout all of this, I chatted in a broken Spanish language with a French accent and with minimal sign language (well I would like to think so), while Michel enviously looked at me without understanding a word!   Ha, ha, ha!   That will teach him for not learning the language!

It was 11:30pm by the time we were dropped off at the Miraflores Colon Hotel, the same hotel we had stayed at exactly one year ago to the day.   After all, it was only one block away from the magnificent scenic paths and ocean views and let’s not forget, the famous Larcomar Shopping Mall.  That’s all that mattered!   Good judgment right…but expensive! 

So, after a good night’s sleep, here I was this morning recollecting last night’s event but since Michel was getting hungrier, it was now time for me to get up and moving! 

The stairs were taken all the way from the 10th floor to the main lobby…..good exercise I told Michel!   The buffet style breakfast and eating room were just as I remembered last year.  Same old familiar stuff but good! 

It was close to 9:00am when we hit the streets and walked down the familiar sidewalks heading in the direction of the scenic paths along the ocean!  It has rained just a little bit the night before, which according to Fiorella is quite unusual since it never rains in Lima….as the song goes!   Ha, ha, ha!  Regardless, the breeze was quite warm, that’s all that mattered.

Michel and I walked for a while in many directions surrounded by familiar grounds.  Regardless as to how many times I’ve seen the landscape and admired the ocean views, I was still very much fascinated by all of it and, I know, I know…..took tons of photos again!

Time flew quickly and next thing we knew, it was already 3:30pm!    It was now time to meet with Justin and Fiorella and head out by taxi to the “Senora’s house” to choose the most important thing for the wedding…..“The Cake”!  

Well, let me tell you, it wasn’t an easy task.  She had tons of photos to look at and the cakes all looked absolutely gorgeous.  A real professional cake lady who herself had learned the trade from her mother and her mother, from her mother!  You get the picture!  A family thing and secret recipes!

After deliberating for more than two hours at the Senora’s house looking at the pictures and tasting three different homemade cakes, one cake picture was finally chosen as well as the type of filling.  It was a hard decision but in the end, we all won over Justin’s choice.   

By then, it was 6:00pm when we left the premises and headed out by taxi to the Jockey Plaza, a real nice modern mall!  After a quick bite to eat, and a movie which we watched there at the Mall's cinema, we all parted our own separated ways….Justin and Fiorella heading back by taxi to her parent’s house and us, by taxi to our hotel.  I was comfortable enough to “hablar Espanol” with the taxi driver all by myself, mind that Justin had given the driver the directions in Spanish beforehand!  Ha, ha, ha!

So, this was my day today, long and exhausting but pleasantly nice.  I couldn’t complain about the weather, it was hot and warm, and I was here to have fun, which I did!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: