Planes, Trains, and Auto-Rickshaws
Trip Start Feb 09, 2012
11Trip End Feb 26, 2012
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
- A private concert featuring flute and tabla players during our evening boat ride on the Ganges. It was lovely music, but ended quite abruptly when it suddenly started raining and we had to rush back to shore to take cover in an archway with the locals.
- Stark naked Jain Buddhist men strolling through the museum at Sarnath, birthplace of Buddhism. Their only accessories were small brooms used for sweeping insects out of the way as they walked, in keeping with their desire to refrain from harming any living thing. The lack of clothing is a result of giving up all worldly possessions. And no, they don't bother using the brooms to shield their privates!
- Unattended cows wandering aimlessly down busy city streets and through intersections, while cars, rickshaws, and motorcycles weave around them without a second thought
- Women in saris riding side saddle on the back of motorcycles, or sometimes driving themselves
- The sweater vest as a wardrobe essential for men, occasionally a fuzzy and/or sparkly one that was no doubt a secondhand womens' item, unbeknownst to the wearer
- Men who are not afraid to wear showy jewelery, especially rings with large semiprecious stones
- The erotic sculptures on the temples at Kajuraho, proving that the Hindus of past millenia were not shy about much of anything