Escape from Goa

Trip Start May 01, 2010
Trip End Apr 30, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Sasha Guesthouse

Flag of India  , Goa,
Monday, March 7, 2011

Our journey from Hampi to Arambol was epic. We set off at 4.30am after a terrible night’s sleep and travelled by rickshaw through the darkness to Hospet station. Because we were based across the river and the river ferry wasn’t running yet we had to go the long way round which took an hour along an incredibly bumpy road. The train was 30 minutes late and we ended up seated next to a family with two kids who kept screaming and then, after they got off about half way into the journey, a bunch of Indian men who were incapable of talking to each other without shouting and breaking into giggling fits! We arrived at Margao around 8 hours later. Trying to save some money by not taking an expensive taxi we decided to bus it to Arambol. We thought this would be just a simple journey but it actually involved taking three separate and ridiculously crowded buses and took over two hours. At least we saved ourselves over $20. We arrived in Arambol feeling completely exhausted and checked into Sasha Guesthouse, a quiet little place located a few metres back from the beach.

Arambol is a small beachside village in north Goa. The beach is maybe not quite as pretty as at Palolem but has a more wild and windswept feel. It stretches for miles and if you walk far enough you can have a quiet stretch all to yourself. Like Gokarna, it is very hippified. There are scores of people doing yoga, tai chi, belly dancing or balancing crystal balls on their heads! Some people look like they have been here for years!

We only intended to stay here for four nights and bought ourselves some train tickets for our onward journey to Mumbai. Unfortunately two days before we were due to leave I came down with terrible food poisoning (and this only a few days after having mild food poisoning in Hampi). I was in bed for three days and felt absolutely awful. On the plus side I didn't eat for three days so we saved some money and my tummy looks like an ironing board! Of course we missed our train and tried to buy some new tickets when I was feeling better. Luck was not on our side, however, and it took another five days before we managed to acquire some tickets. Either the train was full or the Indian Railways systems were down or the internet wasn’t working or there was a power cut (these happen a lot)! India can be immensely frustrating at times!

Anyhow we now have tickets in hand and are leaving on the 6.48am train to Mumbai tomorrow.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


faith on

Definately not eating in India when we're there next month!

Mohit on

Britishers looted all money in India 100 years back, so it is ought to be "frustrating at times".....still you are welcome in India and as a matter of fact, lot of people do treat you with respect

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: