Quiet Lodgings at Suital Lodge

Trip Start May 01, 2010
Trip End Apr 30, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Suital Lodge

Flag of Costa Rica  , Puntarenas,
Saturday, May 29, 2010

The sky looked dark at 6am this morning as we said goodbye to our home from home, Finca Maresia. Luckily the rain held off until we had at least got our bags up to the communal area. Then it started to pour although thankfully it didn't last too long. By the time Drake Bay’s handy one and only taxi driver, Franklin, had taken us to the beach, it had stopped. The boat was late however and we were a little concerned that we would miss our bus at Palmar Norte. Luckily the waves weren't too big so we skipped across Drake Bay pretty fast. However, when we reached the point where the Rio Sierpe meets the sea, the waves increased substantially. With much skill the skipper manoevred us around behind some rocks and then wacked on full power to take us in on a big wave, accompanied by little yelps from the passengers! We then travelled upriver and the driver took a short cut, passing through a very thin channel of mangrove roots, presumably only possible at high tide. On reaching Sierpe, a taxi driver called Pedro was waiting to collect us and take us to Palmar. The bus was about to pull out just as we arrived but thankfully they waited for us.

We arrived at Suital Lodge at around 11am. We are the only guests here. Some very funky individual wood cabins share a space in a very large rainforest area which goes down to the Golfo Dulce coast. The cabin is lovely and has nice big and powerful ceiling fan and great hot water bathroom. From our veranda, we can watch toucans and hummingbirds and there is a sloth sitting in the top of a nearby tree!

After getting settled in we headed on down one of the trails to the beach. The site here is covered with numerous trails which we will explore during our stay. The trail took us through lovely rainforest down to a real wild feeling stretch of coast. It didn’t take us long to get out into the water which was lovely and warm. It started raining really heavily as we enjoyed the water and the views.  The coast is covered in coconut palms and down the beach a bit a small river emptied into the sea. We were both quite hungry as we ate an early breakfast. Thankfully the beach was covered in coconuts so I found a likely candidate and smashed it open with a rock. The flesh was succulent and the juice refreshing. After a while some chickens and ducks came out onto the beach. One poor chicken had a twisted beak so it could hardly feed. We spent a while feeding it on coconut which all the chickens and the ducks seem to like a lot.

We walked back up through the rainforest to our cabin around 4:30 through a very heavy downpour, both still in our swimming gear. I rinsed off the salt and sand in the river on the way back. Catherine got a fright when we she stepped over a big brown snake which slithered off into the jungle! Dinner was great, it seems the resident chap Daniel who cooks is very capable. The rain carried on all night long and didn’t stop until 10am the next morning!

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: