Staying with Chris and Garry, April 10-19,2009

Trip Start Feb 16, 2009
Trip End Jun 22, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Greentree Bed and Breakfast

Flag of Australia  , New South Wales,
Friday, May 29, 2009

On Good Friday April 10 the next part of our Sydney and area stay began when Chris and garry Greentree picked us up at Sue and Mike's home. We met Chris and Garry 25 years ago when they billetted us for an exchange teachers' function. Over the years we have got together a few times in Canada and about 12 years ago their daughter becky stayed with us in Ottawa and at the cottage.
We started our visit with them by going to the Royal Easter Show, something we had not done 25 years ago. The highlight of the day was the evening show. The first event was a rodeo competition between two teams in three events: bucking broncos (where the horse tries to throw the rider); bucking steers; calf wrestling. Next up was Team Toyota presenting an exhibition in precision driving. ML hoped they were good as we were in the second row. We were also really impressed with the jumping skills of three young daredevils on moto-cross bikes. We then listened to John Williams, a famous Aussie entertainer, sing three songs. One of them, True Blue, was acted out and one scene that we both enjoyed was the stampeding horses being rounded up by the stockmen. The show ended with a wonderful fireworks show.
Highlights of our time with Chris and Garry included a weekend trip to Bateman Bay and Canberra where we met their two lovely granddaughters, Adana and Caliya, son Ben and daughter-in-law Jenna. As Canberra is the capital we spent time visiting their parliament, the Australiaan Museum and the War Memorial. They also took us on a trip to the Hunter Valley which is well -known for its vineyards. They also took us for a couple of days to Nelson bay, a seaside resort. While there we took a ferry to Tea Gardens and while waiting for our food we purchased 2 raffle tickets (Aussies are great gamblers). Jim's ticket won and we left with a whack of seafood including prawns, oysters and crabs. Our original plans called for take-out fish and chips but instead we had a fresh seafood buffet.
In between trips we relaxed at the beach and the racetrack. We lost our first two bets and were looking at the jockeys for the last race when we noticed one jockey was wearing the red maple leaf. We had to bet on this rider and wound up winning some money as the rider came first.
Sadly our time with them came to an end all too soon and on April 19 we again boarded the train for Sydney where we stayed overnight at John and Christine's. We caught our flight to Cairns the next morning at 7:00 am.

PS This is the second typing of this message as our computer woes continued. There was no warning that our time was about to end. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: