Trip Start Jan 11, 2013
Trip End Jan 31, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Massachusetts
Wednesday, January 23, 2013

On the second day in Boston, I visited Cambridge. The name Cambridge reminds me of a British university, but I went to Harvard University in Cambridge this time. Although I just intended to visit the campus of the university, I also get into the Natural History Museum. Because the admission fee was quite reasonable, I mistakenly didn't expect much from the museum. However, it tuned out to be an excellent museum of its kind. Incidentally, the feature of the museum was glass flowers. When I left the museum, I asked the receptionists about a shop where I could get souvenir goods from Harvard. She said they had a excellent souvenir shop in Harvard and she was definitely right. It proved that Harvard was not just a university but also a tourist attraction! After I wandered in the shop for a while, I picked out a bag with the Harvard emblem on it.

After the Harvard museum, I headed for another museum: Museum of Fine Arts Boston. That was the main tourist attraction I had in mind. On the night, admission was free. To put it exactly, you can enter the museum only with donation. At the ticket counter, I was asked for donation, but I said No. As always, I said to myself that I am sorry, but I am a poor backpacker. I know this is contradictory, though. If I was really poor, why do I travel in the US.... Anyway, I valued my determination. One of the reasons I visited the museum was I wanted to see the Japanese arts housed by the museum. Actually, I am from Nagoya, Japan, and the city has a sister museum of Museum of Fine Arts Boston. Last year, some of the Japanese arts were exhibited in the sister museum and I was so impressed by them. So the experience made me eager to see the other collection of the Boston museum. For that reason, as soon as I entered the museum, I headed for the Japanese exhibition rooms. However, half of the rooms were under construction. I was so disappointed. Still, the displayed Japanese collection on the day were excellent. (Incidentally, one month later back in Japan, I knew the Japanese art collection had been still in a Japanese museum at that time.) What was worse, the fire alarm of the museum suddenly went off! So all the visitors were told to get out of the museum immediately. Although most of the visitors had left their jacket at the cloakroom, they were not allowed to take it. There were fire engines in front of the museum and the visitors were told to evacuate to the cold parking building. They were complaining. One of them was with a expectant wife and he was very mad at the museum staff. About 30 minutes later, they found nothing was wrong and we were allowed to go back to the museum. I thought the US was very sensitive about a terrorist attack, so they had no choice but to take the safest way. The closing time of the museum was nine on the day and I left at quarter to nine. When I was waiting for a train at Museum Station, a police car stopped by the station. The police said there was an fire in a train and the line was being suspended. He suggested that passengers walk to another station. Then the crowd started walking. I didn't know where the station was, so I just followed the crowd. However, the crowd got smaller and smaller as we walked. Finally, a girl in the crowd asked me where the station was... That was so funny...
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html:

Table of Contents