Sigatoka Sand Dunes

Trip Start May 18, 2004
Trip End Jul 08, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Fiji  , Viti Levu,
Tuesday, December 4, 2012

I didn't think I overslept, but actually I did..., because my alarm was one hour behind... I didn't realise that until 8:30 bus didn't come and Henry told me that it was 9:40 at the time.... When I arrived at the bus port of the city, it was 10:15. I had had a plan to go hiking in Koroyanitu National Heritage Park and the next bus to the village near the park was at 12:00. I changed my plan to go to Sigatoka Sand Dunes National Park. Because Sigatoka is located on the way from Nadi to Suva and I was going to Suva, I didn't need to visit Sigatoka while I was staying in Nadi, but only one-hour bus ride for FJ$5.80 was not bad for me at the time.

The national park was a bit away from the city and very quiet. While I was walking in the park, I saw only a few people. There were two courses for hikers: one hour walk and two hour walk. Since the park was my only destination on the day, I chose the latter. To be honest, it was a pretty hard walk for me. Incidentally, the brochure of the park said, "Don't walk between 1 pm and 3 pm", which means it is hottest during the hours. I started walking at 12:30, because I had no choice.... In the beginning, I walked in a forest area and it was comfortable. After getting through the forest, I reached a lookout, where a view was superb, and in the distance, there was a small-mountain-like object. That was a sand dune. From the beginning, I was able to see beautiful ripples, which impressed me so much. It was hard and tiring to walk on sand, but great views of the sand dunes encouraged me to keep walking. When I reached the beach, I managed to take a rest. Because it was very windy in the sand dunes and beach, my face was covered with sand. I was already exhausted and, because I didn't know how farther I had to walk to get back to the gate, I didn't feel like walking. Nobody was walking around there. I hadn't expected that a sand dune walk was exhausting. Anyway, I had no choice but to walk. I took a break many times and kept walking on the beach. When I saw a sign to direct me to a forest walk, I was relieved. The gate was close from there. 

At the gate, the taxi driver who had taken me to the sand dunes were waiting for me as I had asked. He talked to me in the taxi, but I was too tired to talk much. After I arrived at Sigatoka bus station, I asked a stuff member about my bus port and waited there for a minute. Then I was very thirsty and so I went to a kiosk. When I came back to the station, I was at a different bus port without realising it. For that reason, I missed my bus... Actually, I had to take the bus, because that was the last bus which would enable me to go back to my hostel without walking. Then a Fijian talked to me and once he found out I was Japanese, he greeted me in Japanese. He told me to take a minibus to Nadi and took me to its station. On our way, he said he had a Japanese friend and I should contact him..... Not again! I am tired of that kind of stories. Since then, I didn't listen to him and it seemed he gave up on me. When we reached the minibus station, I saw a vacant bus. Although I was told to wait in the bus, I knew a minibus would not leave until the have many passengers, I eventually chose to a regular bus and walked back home from the closest bus stop I could reach at the time.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: