Royal National Park & Sydney Free Walking Tour

Trip Start May 18, 2004
Trip End Jul 08, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , New South Wales,
Saturday, December 1, 2012

Until this morning, I intended to write about a walk in The Royal National Park but there is not much to write about my trip this time. Honestly speaking, this walk was a fiasco or just a good exercise. Actually I walked there only two and a half hours and I got tired. That was partly because it was hot and partly because I had been a bit tired because of a hard workout on the day before.... In addition, I was lost... not in the forest but in a town near the national park... As a result, I managed to get to Gymea Station after I walked in the town more than one hour. Another problem was, I took a train to Loftus and walked, but the park was huge and I couldn't cross the park as I had planned. I was thinking about getting to the coastline, because I knew I could see beautiful scenery around there. Probably it was better to take a ferry from Cronulla to Bundeena. I also wanted to see a monitor lizard, which grows up to be longer than 1 meter! Unfortunately, I saw only a 30 cm dragon and wallaby, although they were better than nothing. So this time I can't write much about the trip. I will definitely go back to The Royal National Park in the near future. Incidentally, there were a lot of mountain-bikers and only one walker in the park. Mountain-biking looked enjoyable, but you can hardly watch wild animals, so it seems to be a difficult option to me.  

When I reached Gymea after having asked directions twice, somehow I was thinking about another walk in Kuring Gai Chase National Park... You may think I am crazy, but I was really tempted to go there at the time, although I was really tired. However, when I bought a train ticket, a good idea hit on me. That was a Sydney walking tour, which would start at 2:30 at Town Hall.  According to, it is one of the most popular tourist attractions of Sydney and, judging from its reviews, it seemed suitable not only for first-time visitors to Sydney but also for frequent visitors or even residents. Furthermore, it is free! I made up my mind to join it.

I arrived at Town Hall right on time, but the tour started five minutes later. The guide Justine was very informative and knowledgeable and her story was interesting. I learned tidbit of Australian history and related monuments in Sydney. I had visited Sydney many times and I finally realised I didn't know much about Sydney and Australian history in the tour. In other words, the tour was an eye-opener and I would like to join the tour again. I paid a small amount of donation at the end and I felt it was really small for her guide. There was one more walking tour in the Rocks, but I really had to give it up. Maybe next time I visit Sydney, I will try it.

It was around half past six, when I came back to my hostel. I was lying on my bed, thinking about fireworks display in Darling Harbour in the evening. It was not a must-see for me, but I had nothing to do on the night, so I walked down to the harbour with the friend Jay, who I had just met in the hostel. Actually the harbour was a bit far from our hostel and we arrived at ten past nine, but the fireworks display had just started. Although it was beautiful, it didn't last long like 5 minutes. We stayed there for a while even after it finished, taking some pictures. There were some Santa Clause figures on a wall of shops around there.   

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: