Kanangra Boyd National Park Bushwalking & Camping

Trip Start May 18, 2004
Trip End Jul 08, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Whalania Heights

Flag of Australia  , New South Wales,
Sunday, November 25, 2012

I joined a walk and camp of Central West Bushwalking Club in Kanangra Boyd National Park. If I remember correctly, I went camping for the first time in 24 years. Furthermore, Kanangra Boyd National Park is designated as a UNESCO's World Heritage Site and that was the first time for me to stay in a WorId Heritage Site. Interestingly, the camping style was a bit different from those I had experienced. For example, I had never set up a tent only for myself. That was because I went camping as a boyscout and boyscout usually set up a big tent for several members. This time, I set the tent up alone which I had bought for $12 at Kmart on the day before. Actually, it was a piece of cake. Another difference was, we brought a portable stove for cooking this time, but the boyscout build a furnace and make a fire. I still remember it was hard to make a fire if you are not used to do so. Come to think of it, we also collected firewood and made a bonfire, but eucalyptus firewood was very inflammable. No wonder there are a lot of bush fires in Australia

On the first day, we walked three kilo meters from our cars to the camp site. It was a short walk, but our backpack was heavy. I had not carried a heavy backpack those days, the short walk was long enough to tire me. Our camp site Whalania Heights was spacious and we spotted a few kangaroos in the distance in the evening. So I expected the number would get bigger as the evening went on. So before we went to bed, we walked in the field, looking for animals, but there was no luck at the time. However, I didn't give up. Because I knew that we could watch Australian animals in the early morning, I set my alarm clock for 5 a.m. I expected that the field was full of kangaroos and wombats in the field, when I got up.... 

On the second day, as soon as I got up, I started looking for animals. Unfortunately, against my expectation, I couldn't spot any animals there. I tried walking extensively, but couldn't find even a single animal. I was very disappointed. However, the sunrise was so beautiful and well-worth seeing. After we had breakfast, we head off to Mt Guouogang. It is 1291 meters high and one of the highest mountain around the area. We walked on a trail for a while and in a trackless area for a long time. I had walked in a trackless area before, but this time, the walk was longer and harder. On the summit, there was a rock mound and a metal box with a log book in. Each club member wrote in something and I wrote about my happiness I felt at that time. I also climbed the mound and a view from the top was superb. When I came back to my tent, I was exhausted and couldn't keep standing. I lied down and stay still in the tent for a while regardless of a number of flies around my face. The leader Jamie said it was only ten kilo meter return walk, but I felt I walked more than that maybe because it was hot on the day.
A minute after we drove off, two swamp wallabies crossed the road right in front of us. Because I had not seen wallabies so close while walking, even the small happening made me happy enough. On our way back home, we dropped by a cafe in Oberon. I intended to drink iced tea as always, but because the other members ordered milk shake, I felt like trying it, too. It was cold, sweet and surely best suited to a rest after a long walk. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: