It's A Dirty Old Town

Trip Start Sep 06, 2010
Trip End Apr 14, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United Kingdom  , England,
Friday, June 10, 2011

It was a leisurely start to the day as we woke around 07:30 and ate another plentiful breakfast full of variety. When we checked out of our hostel we were somewhat disappointed as it had turned out to be a very comfortable environment in which to stay.  It is a shame we only had two nights here but with a hectic schedule through England it was time to move on.  Our bus to Manchester was running about half an hour late so we did not end up arriving until about 10:30.  We used the directions we had gotten from the internet to navigate our way to our city centre hotel.  We were both a little disappointed when we checked in to the Walkabout Hotel, vowing at that time never to step foot in another one again.  As our room was not ready we dumped our bags and with a map in hand went out to explore the city.  We decided to have a casual day and picked just one thing to do.  We both agreed that a visit to Old Trafford, the home of the Manchester United Football Club was appropriate considering they are the most famous thing about this otherwise mediocre city.  From the city centre we caught a tram to England's most recognisable stadium and joined the queue to book onto a tour.  The next vacancies were not until 14:30, giving us approximately two and a half hours to explore the comprehensive museum which serves as a shrine to one of the greatest sporting clubs in the world.  Highlights of the museum included the George Best story, the Munich Air Disaster exhibition and the impressive collection of silverware, demonstrating the club’s unrivalled dominance in the football world.  On our stadium tour we were taken through usually inaccessible areas including the player’s lounge and change rooms, the media and conference rooms and the team bench.  It was disappointing that the pitch did not look at its best as the groundsmen were in the process of reseeding it ahead of the start of the next season of the Premier League.  After the tour was over we headed back into the city and straight to our hotel.  To get to our room we had to lug our backpacks up four flights of stairs because the lift was broken.  It was only moments later that Brendan had to go up and down the stairs again to inform the reception that our toilet did not flush.  It took almost an hour for someone to come and look at the problem in which time we ate a simple dinner in our room.  We then went downstairs to the pub and had a quiet ale while using the internet and watching the rugby league on the big screen.  By 21:00 we had returned to our room and were asleep shortly after, well before the sun had gone down.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: