24 hours of HELL and a birthday!

Trip Start Sep 30, 2005
Trip End Sep 01, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of India  ,
Wednesday, November 9, 2005

Hello everybody, hope you are all fantastic!

We (Danny, Jamie and I) spent a couple of days in Delhi catching up on important things like emails and dirty washing and had a pre-birthday/good-bye to Jamie night in Delhi which was great fun especially with lots of Indian men shouting "David Beckham" at Danny and oh the champagne!

We then had a 24 hour train journey to Kolkata which is longer than I have spent on a plane getting to Oz! So with our pink stained clothes (even washing is an adventure as you never quite know who's stuff you will get back or what colour it will be) and some marmite sandwiches (Marmite McShea is back) we rush to get our train. Three hours late, the Delhi platform slides from view with the hedgehog sized rats scurrying for cover. Five weeks in India and neither Danny or I had had more than a tight tummy and were feeling quite proud of this. It was me however who let the side down as 6-7 hours in I woke up feeling a bit sick. An hour later I was having to run to the toilet every 20 minutes and feeling worse and worse. I wont go into the details which I'm sure your glad of but lets just say climbing up and down from the top bunk to a well used toilet on a crowded train for 10 hours or so is not much fun!

24 hours later as we pull into Kolkata station having felt better I start to feel worse again. As we stand up to get off, I pass out as Danny tries to get our two big bags, two little bags, him and me off the train! No one offers helps and apparently were just stepping over me! If it wasn't for the help of an English and American guy who carry my bag, share a taxi with us and help us to the hostel I really don't know how we would have got there! Still its all funny now!

The next day feeling a bit better we head out to book a trip to the Sunderbans for the weekend. That booked we spent the next couple of days seeing the sights of Kolkata.

in the middle of the city the massive park, where locals play football, and lots of cricket, with the impressive indian museum, and the victoria memorial near by, and the gargantuan eden gardens, as well as the the kolkata race course. less hastle is handed out here, and there are lots of yellow taxis (new york style), no auto-rickshaws, and it's also the only place in india, where foot rickshaws are still in use, although we haven't had the heart to get on them. as you would expect theres a more british feel to the place, as the city begun as a british settlement. no tours or matches at eden gardens, a very famous cricket ground, but the guard was happy enough to let us in for a couple of mins, see pics. on wards we went to the indian museum, st. paul cathedrals, and a local modern art gallery, and finished up at Victoria Memorial which has a great display inside of the complete history of Kolkata (british to present). the memorial sits amongst beutiful gardens, which are unusually well kept for india. the memorial it self is an imposing victorian building, with mongol turrets and we strolled as the light fadded away. later that night, we visited park street, with its upmarket hotels and bars, an i was deeply amused to find a copy of 'mein kampf' on street book sellers stall. nackard!

We were told there were races every day so on the birthday Friday we arrived and although it was a little quiet started getting into the race atmosphere and choosing who we were going to bet on for the first race. After successfully communicating the bet we wanted the speakers tell us the horses are being led to the course. Great so off we go to sit outside in the stands to watch the race with everyone else. We watch expectantly as we hear they are off. It must be the other end of the course as everyone is sitting watching but we can't see any horses yet. The announcer gets more and more excited as he says they are coming round the last corner, we watch expectantly but still no horses, the announcer says they are coming down the last straight and its close, but we still cant see any horses. The race is ended, there is a winner but still we cant see any horses! We look at each other bemused and at the crowd around us as we realise that the race is actually happening in Delhi!! We felt very foolish! We stayed for three races except watched them on the screen this time and then decided to leave!

That night at the very nice restaurant we had both been looking forward to for three days to celebrate and splash out a bit. we arrive and I start to feel really ill again! I couldn't eat any of the food or drink the champagne and kept running to the bathroom every 10 minutes, was very nearly sick in front of the entire (very posh) restaurant and managed to ruin the birthday celebration! Still Danny had a nice meal and didn't have to share the bottle of sparkly so all was not lost!

Hope you are all doing well, let me know what you have been up to.
Miss you, lots of love :)
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


mills-mcshea on

Re: Hooray for marmite

Sounds like you and Colin are getting all domesticated! I got the marmite from the main bazaar and had to resist the temptation to not get Ritz buscuits too! Am recovered now and might even brave a beer later :) Wish Tom a happy birthday from us but make sure he doesn't drink too much!!
Take care of you, lots of love Kate

mills01480 on

news from no 55 st neots
hi dan and kate its us again [your emails are great]thanks so much for ringing usw dan it made grandads day also it makes us feel that you are not far away. guess what your chillies have ripened i know too late for you but mum and dad are using them. i am now missing our little chats on thursday mornings. went to turners on monday [show and lunch] with the club very good sad news my bonsai tree has died sorry i dont know what i done to it. well loads of love to you both looking forward to next email i have now 20 as i keep reading them have a wonderful time miss u both love nan and grandad x x x x x x

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: