Day 315-326 Bondi Beach

Trip Start Dec 01, 2008
Trip End Nov 08, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
TAZ' Bondi Beach

Flag of Australia  , New South Wales,
Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Day 315-326 Bondi Beach             Sun 11th – Thurs 22nd Oct 2009

It had been a long time since I had driven on the section of the Pacific highway where the road cuts through the hills of several national parks en-route to Hornsby - it is a truly spectacular scene, albeit a stressful one this time with the caravan behind and in wet conditions.

Greg and I were working together to ensure full visibility was gained as we slowed terribly on the inclines and valiantly endeavoured to keep out of harms way of the ever growing stream of traffic.

We then struggled through the madness of traffic in Sydney’s northern suburbs, which in particular meant very narrow lanes and having to stay in the middle to ensure we were at the ready to take exits and turns as they appeared. I gained many grey hairs during this journey and Greg’s already thinning hair was lucky to remain as he demonstratively scratched and ruffled it in frustration many a time.

On the radio, Triple J had a “live at the wireless” concert replaying. It was Ben Folds, an all time favourite of mine and Greg’s, he is also significant to Taz as we took her with us to see him play in Melbourne and we ended up eating beside him pre-concert at Chinta Blues in Acland street. The music proved to be morale boosting and a great distraction to the increasingly difficult situation we found ourselves in as we tried to navigate our way to Bondi towing the caravan.

Well we managed to make it in one piece to Bondi, the weather had improved significantly, so much so that it seemed everyone had migrated here for the day to enjoy the beach and there was not a car-spot in site and certainly not a place to park a car towing a caravan. Famous last words indeed..

What were we thinking listening to a non-licensed driver about traffic and car parking in Bondi!

Hovering as long as possible outside Taz’s apartment and completing loop after loop whilst looking for a car-spot was challenging. One spot became available out front of her complex and we devised a plan to reverse the van onto it and un-hitch it here for the night. That way we could keep an eye on it and park the car further away without any fuss. The parking time limit for non-residence was extremely prohibitive. We needed to get the van out of here by 10am the next day or pay an exorbitant fine for the luxury of keeping it out front.

We rang Tony and Carol our dear friends who live in Cronulla with a cunning plan, unfortunately they were in Scandinavia when we called and we woke them up! But we asked to leave the van at their place while we crashed with Taz in Bondi, we’d have the car and all we needed to do was take out all our clothes and other bits from the caravan we needed for about a week and drive it out to Cronulla til we were ready to move on. Brilliant!!!

So after a restless sleep (Greg and I took over Taz’s bed with no curtains over four large windows in her room, the kids on the fold out sofa and Taz sharing with her room-mate)we all awoke excited at the prospect of a “hip” existence in Bondi, near our heroes from Bondi rescue and numerous cafes and eateries.

The van survived unscathed, despite my misconceptions of it being trashed or stolen. I am not sure why I felt so stressed about the van parked out front, but I didn’t feel comfortable leaving it there for some unrealistic reason.

Taz left for work, Greg and Maegs drove the van to Cronulla and Max and I set about cleaning the kitchen and fridge to cater for an extra four people in the two bedroom, top floor apartment. Luckily Tazza was more than happy for us to take over her place.

With the van safely parked in a secure driveway Cronulla, we were primed to explore Bondi, the city and its surrounds by foot, public transport and occasionally our car. How used to this life was I going to get?

After our hard work Max and I treated ourselves to coffee and gf muffins at Gould St Organic food place. We then wandered the shops and found the local Vinnies store. Specifically we were after curtains for Tazza’a bedroom so Greg and I could get some sleep and give us some privacy from the many eyes that have a clear view of her corner bedroom.

Bondi Beach beckoned and Max was keen for a look, we walked the short distance from Taz’s for a dip and to watch the many surfers in action. Back a little later to meet Greg and Maegs for phase two of the transformation of Taz’s flat.

The next item on our long list was to fill the kitchen with food and help Taz move the last of some of her possessions from her last rental to her new place. As we drove to complete said tasks, Max graciously offered Greg a deal - a beer at his chosen pub in exchange for a brief playground visit!!

Tuesday we heard from the Corky’s, they were on their way to Sydney and had made a booking in a caravan park on the North shore at Narrabeen. We arranged to meet them at a pub at Manly on Friday and intended to take the kids on the ferry across for the reunion.

Maegs and Max joined an activities group at the Bondi Baths centre on Wednesday, a musical program where they were given various instruments to play which gave Greg and I a rare opportunity for quality time together to run together along the path from Bondi to Bronte.

Prior to our rendezvous with the Corky’s we found out Max and Stella Robertson were visiting their daughter Prue in Como. We caught the train out and enjoyed coffee and then Stella and I indulged in a bottle of champas at the historic Como Hotel.

Harpo and Greg took charge of the kids, taking them to the waters edge and the playground before rejoining Stella and I. They quickly moved into the TAB within the pub and managed to fluke a well paying winner. We joked they’d be able to shout us dinner, but we wanted to get back to Bondi and given we were travelling by train, we needed to get a wriggle on as it was a good 30min return journey.

Life was pretty enjoyable in Bondi. There were many things to do, heaps of friends to catch up with and lots to explore. Max’s b’day was fast approaching and we looked forward to sharing celebrations with the Corky’s and Taz at Luna Park.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: