Second day on the Sealink Kangaroo Island tour.

Trip Start Oct 31, 2011
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Australia  , South Australia,
Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Today we woke up early at 7 AM to get ready for our tour. We packed all our bags and got ready, because we had to catch our shuttle at around 9 AM. We waited outside, and our shuttle got there early. We put our bags in the stowage compartments, and got on the bus. We had a different tour guide today, named Dave. He was really nice, and we talked at one of the stops about lots of stuff, and he was very educating. We started the tour by driving 30 minutes to Clifford's Honey Farm. I love honey, so I was really excited. When we got there, we learned about Liguarian Bee's. Kangaroo Island has the only pure strain of these bee's left in the world. The honey is a bit different tasting than other honey's. We learned about the bee's, than he showed us how the machine that cleans the honey, extracts it from the wax, pumps it into the storage tanks and pasteurizes it works. It was very cool. From there, we went to the gift shop, where I tasted a few different kinds of honey, tasted honey ice cream, and watched bee's making honey through a glass hive. I couldnt buy any honey, because were going to New Zealand soon, and you cant take any food products there. From the honey farm, we left, driving another 30 minutes to Kelly Hill Caves. The caves and deep under groud, with Quartz crystals hanging from the top everywhere. They were formed thousands of years ago, and first opened as an attractions in the 1950's. We walked through the cave for about 20 minutes, then made our way back up. We then went to lunch, about 290 minutes away. When we got there, we had "Gourmet Burgers". I had 2, and they were really tasy. When I was done eating, I went and used the free wifi computers, but the internet was very slow. When we left, we started to make our way to Remarkable Rocks, on the way passing through Flinders Chase National Park, seeing an 800 year ol;d tree, and mny large termite nests. Remarkable Rocks are massive granite rocks, shaped by water pounding against them for thousands of years. They are massive, and are right by the see, so the ind helped in forming them.
We then made our way to Cape du Couedic Lighthouse, to go see some New Zealand Fur Seals. We didnt actually go into the lighthouse, its not open for tours. There were many seals, and we even saw some fighting. We then made our way back up to Kingscote, the town we were picked up in, to go see the daily Pelican feeding. It was about an hour drive. Pelicans are very cool birds, with a windspan of 2 meters, and a lifespan of 21 years. They're fed fresh fish scraps daily at 5 PM. It was amazing watching the guy feed them, they would all jump and fly for them, attacking and Sea Gulls that got in the way. We left there, then made our way back to Pennesahw to catch our ferry. When we got there, 45 minutes later, we stopped at Isola Pizza, got a meatlovers pizza, ate in, then went back tot he bus to go down to the port. The pizza was delicious. We then boarded our ferry, I listened to music the whole time, it was only a 45 minute ride. When we got off, we boarded the bus at Cape Jervis, to go back to Adelaide. That was a 2 hour drive. I didnt do much, just sat there. When we got back, I started writing. Thanks for reading.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: