Final thoughts on Helsinki
Trip Start Sep 08, 2012
28Trip End Oct 06, 2012
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
- Why use 5-8 letters to spell a word when you can throw in a few extra j's, a couple of u’s and a bucket load of k’s and stretch the length to 25+
- Finland has a fascinating history of being caught in the middle of Russia and Sweden. Following their independence from Russia in 1918, they fought alongside Germany in WW2, against Russia, but then turned against Germany
- Not everyone is blonde! But I think there is a higher attractiveness quota here, with both the males and females
- They are still so proud of hosting the Olympics just after the war
- The time to come to Finland is at Spring /Summer – that way, there is still time to wear the fabulous winter clothes they have during our winter
- Australia’s approach to border control makes me wonder - here it seems an interesting concept when the next country is just a luxury ferry ride away. As we left Helsinki today, they gave our passports just a cursory glance before issuing our ferry tickets, not scrutiny, no stamps, nothing.
- This "ferry" is bloody massive – with so many bars!! Before we had even left port at 10.30am people were already finishing their first beers and champagnes. As we left Helsinki, there were easily 8 massive ferries – going to Stockholm, Tallinn, St Petersburg – crisscrossing the Baltic Sea daily.
And now to Tallinn – never would I have thought I would ever make it to Estonia!