Border crossing

Trip Start Jan 01, 2001
Trip End Dec 28, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Mauritania  , Dakhlet Nouadhibou,
Tuesday, December 3, 2013

It was another quiet night and we
continue onward to Mauritania. We passed the Tropic of Cancer today,
it had the usual monument, although this time just a truck tyre with
the words written on. We have made good time and have arrived at the
border at 3.15. Have to queue to go through a vehicle x ray scanner,
we were through and cleared by 5.20, but Michael had then to go to
passport and customs control and he seems to have disappeared. At
6.00 Michael returned and explained what had happened. It appears
that when they scanned the vehicle they took the import papers from
us and then instead of returning them to us they gave them to a
French couple in a motor home that was scanned at the same time. This
couple where returning to Morocco and had long since left. This
created big problems as we did not have the export papers for the
car, although they admitted it was their fault. Fortunately Michael
being a hoarder still had the export papers from April when we last
left and they used that to make out a new form. This form they got
everyone to sign and then photocopied it to pretend that we had lost
them and not them. At the end a cheeky customs guy still asked for a
bottle of spirits. We then had to leave the immigration area and
drive to Mauritania. This involved driving along a track through a
minefield. I say track but it was so rough just crossing open ground
that I had to sit on the floor keeping doors closed and things from
banging about too much. It was now just approaching 7 pm and the
customs closed at 7 so once through the gate they put the barrier
down. It was much better organised here, they had 3 separate ares with their own barrier.First police who wrote all the details in a book and then asked for a gift in French. Pleaded ignorant and went on.Next was paperwork for Kirsty this involved a 10 euro charge but we paid in Ouyiga and we got it cheaper at 4,000. No request for gifts here.Finally the Gendarmes who again wrote all down and then asked for a gift. Once more pleaded ignorance and so he mimed a tube of toothpaste. Eventually as they wanted to get home they just stamped the passports
and let us through. We then parked just outside the gates by an
insurance office where we got some for Kirsty. All told it was about
4 hours to cross, which is better than we expected.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: