Trip Start Aug 07, 2009
Trip End Dec 31, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , New Jersey
Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Well, this morning we had to do a show on Long Island. It was unusual--forgettable, almost. We arrived before the sun had risen (as per the past several days... man), and pulled around to what looked like the backside of the auditorium. The side door was open, leading right into the auditorium. We didn't even announce our presence. No one was around.

So... we set up everything without contact with anyone... It was getting close to time to start bringing kids in, so I walked around the school a little bit in hopes of finding at least the main office. Nothing. I only found a couple preschool classes. So... that was weird. I found a bathroom, though. And when I came back to the auditorium, Kelsey was talking with our contact person. Whew--good. We were in the right place.

Come to find out, our show was for a small class of alternative ed high schoolers. No more than thirty people in the audience. They didn't say much during the show. When it was over, they left, we packed up and left, and that was that.

We had a second school, though. over an hour away, and we had about an hour to get there.
It was another middle school, just like yesterday's afternoon. And they were just as disruptive and disrespecful. We had to do two shows. The set-up itself went pretty well. We had three kids help us, and the guidance counselor (a really cool guy) was right in there with them. But the audiences were awful.

We've experienced a lot of different audiences and have made a lot of observations and theories about the culture of discipline in a school. Maybe I'll write up an entry about our thoughts.

But for now, suffice it to say that we were ready to leave New Jersey. We won't be returning to New Jersey for at least another two weeks!

Kelsey and I were exhausted, though. We were scheduled to stay at a distant relative's house in Allentown that night, but they wouldn't be home until 7:30, so we had to kill an entire afternoon.


It's come to be our relaxing afternoon home-away-from-home. We caught up on paperwork, sipped some tea, and I called our boss. I mentioned to him how long our day was yesterday, and he said, "Wow, maybe you guys got overtime." I thought that was interesting--we hadn't even heard anything about overtime!

But sure enough, any day that is at least eight hours between set-up time and when we arrive at our hotel that evening counts as overtime. Armed with this new information, we realized that we had pulled overtime for the past several days in a row. So, we felt a bit more justified in our fatigue.

That evening, we stayed with the Baun's. Mrs. Baun is Kelsey's grandmother's nephew's daughter (I told you they were distant relatives). It's kinda awkward staying with related strangers. But we had a wonderful homecooked dinner, and stayed in a real bed in a real bedroom. Totally worth it.

Another long day! One more day in Pennsylvania to go, before starting our week and a half with YFC.

More to come :)
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: