Resort sampling in PV

Trip Start Dec 22, 2006
Trip End Feb 10, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Mexico  ,
Sunday, March 11, 2007

After the eventful night we had on the town, today we decided to relax, yet again.  We walked around town and tended to a few errands including dropping off 12 kilos of laundry to be washed.  In Mexico, it is very difficult to find a place to do your own laundry and the price is generally the same as when the laundry shop does it for you.  We decided to spend the afternoon back at Villa del Mar swimming and basking in the sun.  We had packed up some food, water and a change of clothes, so we were in no rush to leave the life of luxury.  As we were swimming we ran into Connie and Ethan, our friends from the Outdoor Adventure.  Apparently they were staying at Villa del Mar.  Needless to say, they were a bit shocked to see us, as they were well aware that we were urban campers.  The Gold Card did wonders for our travel status, however confused our friends just a bit.  We chatted for a few minutes, before Connie and Ethan had to run off to dinner reservations.  We simply returned to the pool to continue relaxing.  We went from pool to hot tub to pool before finally hitting the showers and cleaning up proper for the day.  It was nearly 7:00pm when we left the resort and headed back home. 
We dropped off our backpack at the van and grabbed some cash to head out for tacos, yet again.  Today was a big day as Geraldine's shirt was to be ready at Mr. Taco.  With all the excitement, we nearly ran to the taco shop.  When we arrived we were greeted by the entire family.  Edna and her three brothers were working that day.  Everyone had come to recognize us ad welcomed us with open arms.  As soon as we arrived, Edna brought Geraldine her shirt.  The smile on Geraldine's face was big and bright enough to light up all of Puerto Vallarta.  Geraldine immediately ran to the bathroom to change into her new attire.  With Geraldine dressed like staff, everyone fell into line for a few photographs.  It was fun.  We ate a bit more than usual, but we were both very hungry as we had only been snacking on granola and crackers all day.  We feasted on great food  and chatted with great friends.  The entire Hernadez family are wonderful people and we truly appreciated their hospitality, humour and great food.  If ever in Puerto Vallarta, be sure to hit Mr. Taco at least once.  The food is so good, that we know you will go back for more. 
We walked home and slowly strolled the boardwalk to take in some more sights of Puerto Vallarta before heading home to 'Nilla for the night. 
The heat inside the van was nearly unbearable the next morning, however we still decided to sleep in and it was well worth it.  Today we decided to check out another resort.  We heard about a resort called Costa Sur that was built into the side of a mountain and the pool is actually 5 floors below the lobby.  We again filled the backpack and headed out for the day.  We jumped a bus and prepared for a long journey.  Costa Sur is actually on the highway south of town and we paid for two different buses just to get there.  At the lobby, we explained that we were interested in seeing the resort for a potential future stay, and as luck would have it, we were given a day pass to enjoy ourselves at the pool.  Yee-haw! 
We found a lounge chair along side the pool and decided to share as the pool side was very busy.  We spent the day chatting on the internet, swimming and snacking on crackers and cookies.  The resort sold a sleeve of sesame seed covered whole grain crackers for $1.  These were by far some of the best tasting crackers we have ever eaten.  And the price was right too!  The view from the pool deck was about 30 feet above the ocean.  The resort has built a breakwater which contains ocean water without the strong current.  Many visitors were snorkelling in the water or laying on plastic lounge chairs half on the beach and half in the water.  The view of the Pacific Ocean from Costa Sur was gorgeous.  In the afternoon, the resort treated all guests to free popcorn.  Another Yee-haw!  We chowed down like we had not eaten in weeks, however refrained from filling up our bowl too many times. 
It was around 5:00pm, when we finally decided to pack up and head back to town.  It took quite a while for the bus to arrive as we stood along the highway for what seemed like eons.  We rode our two different buses  back into town and decided to hit El Puerto for dinner.  We shared a quesadilla and a giant sandwich (torta gigante) before deciding to walk down the boardwalk to get a bit of exercise.  The walk was short lived as we were swayed into the Cheeky Monkey bar on the promise of $1 drinks.  This we could not pass up.  We sat on the balcony that overlooked the boardwalk and ocean and got ready to sip on margaritas and watch the sun go down.  Within minutes, we met a couple from Texas that were driving around Mexico as well.  We swapped travel stories and we were given some tips on places south of  Puerto Vallarta that we had yet to reach.  The sunset was beautiful on this night and the company of our new friends was great.  The table slowly started to accumulate empty margarita glasses as well as a collection of empty beer bottles.  It was not long before everyone was feeling quite invincible and we decided to head home before the night got out of hand. 
The next two days were very uneventful as we spent most of our time either at the internet café updating the website or window shopping while walking around town. We did happen upon a street artist and vendor named Miguel and were very impressed with his work.  We quite liked one of his charcoal drawings since it was the only one in the array of water colour paintings.  After some long negotiations we were able to get the picture for about half the asking price, which was a better fit with our budget.  Miguel was kind enough to pose with Geraldine and our new and afterward he told us stories about how Puerto Vallarta has changed over the years.
On Match 14, 2007 we got up and hit the town for a morning walk.  We found a Woolworth and decided to check it out.  Michael was mainly interested in walking around the air conditioned building while Geraldine was actually looking around.  Within minutes we found a woman that was offering to do hair colourings for free if two colour treatments were purchased.  The van is really not the best place to colour hair and since the price for the colour was right, Geraldine jumped at the chance to be pampered a little bit.  Michael left to hit the internet café and figured the new hairdo would be a nice surprise in an hour or so.  Well, time passed, and passed and finally Geraldine showed up at the café with a beautiful new colour on her hair, face, ears and cheeks.  The lady that put the colour on, was not very careful and left a one inch ring of colour around Geraldine's head.  The pictures tell the story better than any words we can type....check it out.
Later in the morning, we managed to get on the wrong bus while trying to get to Wal-mart and it took us into some off the beaten path residential neighbourhood before we got our bearings and jumped onto the correct bus.  A bit of confusion every now and then lets us know that we are human.  After getting some groceries, we headed back to the van to fill the refrigerator and stuff the backpack for another relaxing day poolside at Villa del Mar.  We saw no reason to let the Gold Card sit in our wallet, when it could be in use.  Plus, this was our only method of having a shower, besides basin washing in the hotel bathrooms.

Photos for you to enjoy:
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: