Back in FC

Trip Start Jul 08, 2008
Trip End Sep 11, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Fitzroy River Lodge Caravan Park

Flag of Australia  , Western Australia,
Monday, August 4, 2008

We left Kununurra at 6pm on Monday 4 August and already the temperature was 19C and the sign outside the town read "Fire Danger Very High" so it was definitely time to head south to the cooler weather. By the time we reached Fitzroy Crossing at 2pm it was 36C so the swim in the pool there was very welcome. Again we enjoyed the drive through the countryside with the long brown grass and some acacia trees so it looks just like African landscape with out the African animals!  We did though see some kangaroos and emus! Sometimes the land was flat and we could see to the horizon and then other parts were quite hilly making it interesting with all the variation.  Also many of the tall anthills were beige and then sometimes the Kimberley red as one would expect.  We were now into the 28th day since leaving home and we talked about how fast the days had gone by and what an interesting time we had already had.  Soon after passing the Doon roadhouse we saw our first Kangaroo jump across the road, thankfully a few metres in front of us.  At Telegraph Creek, just before Warmun, we saw the site of the bridge construction and the hole where the boab tree had been removed to send to Kings Park. We stopped at Mary's 24 hour free camping stop as so many people had told us how nice it is but we decided as it was still early and we don’t have the convenience of our own toilet and shower in the caravan, to keep going to Fitzroy Crossing where we can enjoy the amenities. We turned round and continued on passed Mt Pierre Station. 

Just after the Shire of Derby sign a truck passed us and Mike followed in the slip stream at 100kms / hour instead of the usual 90kms hour and we found we were using less fuel and also were able to pass six other caravans and get into Fitzroy Crossing in time to be able to secure one of the last powered sites!

Along the way we also passed a recently burnt out truck and Mike had remarked that it must have been carrying something extremely flammable – we heard on the news later that it had been laden with pumpkins but thankfully the driver was unscathed.  Coming later into Fitzroy Crossing had an advantage in that the last sites available were on the edge by the bush which were nicer sites and seemed more peaceful away from all the other caravans but then, coming in a bit later than we did could have resulted in not getting a site at all!    
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: