Sapa day 2 & overnight train to Hanoi

Trip Start Jan 05, 2010
Trip End Jan 25, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Victoria Hotel & Livitrans to Hanoi

Flag of Vietnam  ,
Tuesday, January 12, 2010

We had an early breaky in the Hotel - soup and omlette as usual (the plan to loose some weight in Vietnam isn't going too well! ) and met Vung at 9:30am for a walk to the Cat Cat village, about 2km out of town.

Yesterday we walked for about 6 or 7 kms, and enjoyed stretching our legs in the sunshine. Today is a completely different story - it's freezing cold and the sleet on the ground means it's very muddy underfoot. Kym's glamourous Merrell walking shoes didn't hold up too well and there were some tense moments as we set off on the walk.

The local area is very hilly and the walk to the Cat Cat village is downhill and quite steep. We visited a Black H'Mong village and went into one of their houses for a steaky beak. It felt awkward as we stood in their primative living area and watched them sitting around a fire. They are compensated for the invasion of foreigners by tourist dollars but amazingly don't seem to mind uninvited guests dropping in.

We continued downhill to a beautiful waterfall, and saw a colonial French hydro electric pump. We set out for the walk back uphill and made it to a gallery about 1/3 of the way up, where Kym bought some drawings by local artist Tran Trong Chien. Kym claimed a shortage of time required a motocycle taxi from here and we scooted back to the hotel in no time.Although Mike thought there would be a medical emergency judging from Kym's increasingly red face & loud wheezing from the walk up the hill.

At lunchtime we strolled down to the local village for an irish coffee, a Blue Lagoon cocktail (yes - you read that correctly - a Blue Lagoon in the middle of no-where!!) and a chicken hot pot. We then spent the afternoon in the beautiful spa at the hotel; Kym had a facial while Mike jumped between the steam room, the sauna and the heated pool.

We were picked up by Vung about 5pm for the 30 min drive back down to Lao Chi to catch the train to Hanoi. We upgraded to a private sleeper - which we meant we very indulgently bought the other two berths in the compartment - and settled in for another rocky night of interrupted sleep.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Bruce Linaker on

That cocktail looks like anti-freeze!!!!

Great photos - thanks for sharing.



Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: