Farewell to Vanya

Trip Start Jun 16, 2010
Trip End Aug 18, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
At Barbara's

Flag of Poland  , Masovian Voivodeship,
Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I must admit that even though I had a rough night, I managed to get us ready in the 45 minutes we had before the taxi came at 5:45 this morning. There was already some traffic Downtown but we got to the Okęcie Airport at 6am sharp, as planned. It took us about an hour to check in Vanya and his luggage but there were no problems and after wandering through the hall for a few minutes I could tell that he wanted to go through customs to begin his traveling adventure. A quick kiss and a hug, and my boy was on the other side waving to me.

I thought I'd just find a coffee shop and wait it out there till the stores open, do my shopping, and find a place with internet access to update my blog. But as soon as I got on the bus I knew that I’d have to return to Barbara’s and make up a couple of hours of sleep. That was just what I needed to feel up to half a day of shopping.

I went to EMPiK (Polish Barnes&Noble) first and found internet in their café. I was so engrossed in my writing and uploading photos that I did not notice three hours passing by. I had to scramble to find all the stores that I needed to visit and pick up my Polish goodies. I also couldn’t skip saying good-bye to Old Town. Every year, the day before I leave, I go to Old Town and walk around saying my good-byes to the Royal Castle, the colorful houses in the square, the sculptures, the fountains, the caricature artists, the sweet pretzel sellers, and the horse-drawn hansoms. Once I do that, the trip is over as far as I’m concerned.

I was really late to Ciocia Zosia’s for dinner. My cousin Elżbieta came from the Kampinowski National where she and her park ranger husband live, and was patiently waiting to visit with me. To compensate everybody for my tardiness I showed a slideshow of pictures from my whole trip. That took three hours but made everybody happy! We had some ice cream and then it was time for me to go pack.

I hate saying good-bye to my Ciocia Zosia because she is 87-years old and I am always keeping my fingers crossed that next year we’ll meet again. She is still very feisty and sharp as a whip so I’m hoping for at least thirteen more years.

I also hate packing to leave and I was up till 2am just trying to close my suitcase. I weight it ten times before giving up. Though I felt exhausted I couldn’t sleep a wink. Watched TV, read my book, talked to Lyn, drank some herbal tea, watched TV, snoozed for an hour, and got up at 7am to stop the insanity.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: