Hong Kong

Trip Start Aug 29, 2012
Trip End Jul 02, 2014

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of China  ,
Wednesday, August 29, 2012

So after over a year of planning the day finally arrived when Team Sam (Emma's choice of name) aka 'Haylock' departed the mutherland for a new life in Australia, via my former residence of Hong Kong.

Following a lot of tear shedding at the airport, mainly by me, we boarded the 12-hour Cathay Pacific flight to Hong Kong which actually went quite quickly thanks to Cathay's vast array of films. Haynesey went for the modern-day classic 'The Lucky One', featuring an Oscar worthy turn from Zac Efron, whilst I elected for a proper man film, 'The Hunger Games'. Can't wait for the sequel.

Anyway, enough film chat. 

We arrived in HK at about 3pm local time and followed Dad's perfect instructions via train and shuttle bus to arrive at our hotel, the Salisbury YMCA in Kowloon, which was about a 5 minute walk from the Star Ferry terminal to HK island. Couldn't have been a better location (Room with a view). We resisted the temptation to get a bit of shut-eye and headed out to view the sunset over HK harbour and see the city light up, which was pretty spectacular. We asked a local to take a romantic photo but the doilem managed to blur both us and the scenery. I could have done that myself.

Following a cheeky Iced tea, we headed to the viewing deck to see the Light Show over the city, which sounds a lot better than it was, but was a nice way to finish our first evening.

On Day 2 we decided to visit the Big Budda (which apparently resembles me) on Lantau Island, which required us to take the Star Ferry to HK island and then get a connecting ferry over to Lantau. Expecting regular buses up to Budda we grabbed a sneaky McD's when we arrived on Lantau only to miss the only bus for 2 hours going up. Plan B involved getting a bus to the main town on the island and then a cable car up to the BB himself. Em's fear of heights kicked in at this stage and my swinging about on the pole did little to ease her fears.

Budda himself was pretty impressive, although we spent most of the time having photos taken with this random Chinese couple that had taken a liking to us. Back on HK island we went up to Victoria Peak for some stunning views over HK at night.

Day 3 we headed over to Stanley on the far side of HK island, although it hammered it down most of the day so we didn't get to see too much. We met up with Mum and Dad's friend Henrietta and her husband David for dinner and they took us to a seafood restaurant, possibly the worst place for Ems, but it was a great meal.

On our last full day we headed back over to HK island and spent most of the day going up and down the island on a tram trying to take semi-decent photos before going over to the world famous Jumbo floating restaurant for dinner, somewhere I went when I used to live in HK, not sure if I've mentioned that yet...

All that was left was for us to check-out on the last day, have a little stroll around Kowloon and head over to the airport to catch our flight to Melbourne. 

HK was a brilliant way to start our adventure and gave us a nice little break before the reality of finding a job, a house and friends (which with my social skills is always tricky) in Australia.

Hopefully we'll update this blog again soon, next instalment will be from the land down under.

Al our love,

Ems & Sam x x x

Post your own travel photos for friends and family More Pictures

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: