Seville has snails!!!
Trip Start May 12, 2005
79Trip End May 14, 2006
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
- tabs for tapas and beer written in chalk on the bar-top, food scene is fantastic.
- all the staple tapas items, our picks included fried calamares, potato tortillas and grilled/stuffed peppers.
- one great little local bar, littered with bar flies, specialised in 'cabrillas' (snails), almost as tasty as Mark's Nonna's vovalachi, Mark was pretty chuffed with this discovery
- the best restaurant was a real find; cheap, locals only, pretty classy (by our standards anyway), tapas and mini-main meals (eg. fine swordfish steak and salad) meant that we could try heaps of different stuff....would have eaten here on three occasions if it wasn't closed one night....
- finally got some decent churros; fried donut sticks dipped in molten chocolate, perfect for a hangover but they have to be fresh out of the oil!!
- intricate and expansive moorish palace/fortification.
- alhambra-esque, but not quite in the same league (we would go on to Granada to visit the Alhambra after morocco).
- still there was some fantastic stuff; gardens out the back were really mixed and interesting, the trademark stuccowork was magnificent and a massive tapestry-map of Europe/Africa was pretty impressive as well.
- spent a half-day wandering...plenty of people inside, but also plenty to see.
- watched a match in a seedy bar; real madrid vs mallorca.
- madrid lost 2-1 and as soon as the final whistle went, the bar emptied...bit of fun though.
- one of the biggest in the world; truly gigantic.
- built on a mosque (ongoing theme in this part of the world)
- climbed up the tower (built by the same dude as the big minaret in marrakech) to gain fantastic views over all of seville.
- pretty self-explanatory; great day for it, some yummy cheese, jamon serrano (spanish prosciutto), lots of people sunning themselves and too many carrots!!!!
- seville is the place for flamenco guitar/dancing.
- the thing about flamenco is that it is supposed to be pretty spontaneous, explosive and passionate.
- avoided the places that put on nightly shows...but one night, accidentally ended up having a drink at one of these very places.
- great front area, people jamming on the piano, nice and quiet.....then the hordes started to roll up and fill up a massive back-room area.
- stuck around for the flamenco show....full of vigour and passion, great musicians...but too many loud/drunken people.....
- one of the worst places we have stayed in....cheap, dank and dark (no window, Clare's ultimate nightmare)....
impromptu flamenco guitar session
- in a bar, for a beer to celebrate the news that clare had become an aunty.
- mid afternoon...couple of guys and the bar chick having a jam, only us and a couple of other blokes in the bar.
- had great voices, could play as well... a lot of fun, sort of atoned for the previous flamenco fiasco.
- decided we'd better flash down to Morocco for something different, took an early bus to tariffa, then an unpleasant ferry to tangiers.