Second day in Sudbury, relaxing a little bit

Trip Start May 09, 2009
Trip End May 23, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Canada  , Ontario,
Monday, May 11, 2009

Last night I called my parents. I let them know I had arrived at my first location and since they were away from an internet connection I also gave them an update on my travels. But during the call I did something I haven't done in about a year. I complained. I told them I was distraught because I wasn't sure what else to do in Sudbury with two days still left. But my lack of options was due to laziness on my part not a lack of options. There are three apparent tourist attractions in Sudbury; Science North, Dynamic Earth and the Big Nickel. I was planning to do these attractions and there really wasn't anything else blatantly advertised around the city. So what I did last night after talking to my parents was I went around the university and asked what the local people would recommend I see or do. I got several good suggestions but they all came to the same conclusion. Take advantage of the beautiful weather Sudbury was expected to have today and see some Northern natural beauty. So I left this morning and headed downstairs to see Gisele Raymond, the housing supervisor. I asked her where I should go and got an instant answer, the Laurentian Conservation area. So equipped with several maps I headed out to the Laurentian Conservation area. I did have to make a tiny detour first though. I woke up this morning with an eye infection of some kind. It was probably caused by all the black flies who come out here at night and kamikaze into your eyeballs. No matter what caused it I went to the nearest pharmacy to get polysporin. Now the closest pharmacy was several blocks away Sudbury style which means it took me 50 minutes to walk to the nearest one and since I left the university at 10:30, it was already time for lunch when I arrived at the pharmacy. Luckily enough I passed a local Indian restaurant that had a lunch buffet for $9.99. It was delicious, some of the best Indian food I have had so far and again super cheap.After lunch it was time to make my way over to the Conservation area. An hour later I arrived, after discovering several beautiful views of the different lakes surrounding Sudbury. I was so tired of walking, now having walked for about two and half hours, up and down foot hills, I laid down on a flat rock, the same rock which is so prevalent throughout Sudbury and Northern Ontario. After a couple of minutes of just laying there looking up at the cloudless sky I realized something. I should take my time here in Sudbury and enjoy its natural beauty. I then made my way into the conservation area and was blown away with the natural beauty of the place. (I took a lot of photos along my hiking route which I will post later tonight.)After hiking the smaller path I decided to go back to the university to rest my feet as they were really, really in pain. When I got back to the university I checked in with Gilese and found out I had been walking for six hours. So now I am sitting at my computer, fixing a lot of my previous blogs, sorry, and about ready to go out for dinner.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: