Nice and Monte Carlo

Trip Start Mar 21, 2010
Trip End Mar 16, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of France  , Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur,
Tuesday, June 1, 2010

1 JUNE 2010 - We got up quite early today in Riomaggiore to pack our stuff and get our train.  We walk down the steep mountain with our packs on our back and then caught the little green bus down to the main street. As we are walking through the tunnel Troy starting singing “Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to France we go” and then we just kill ourselves laughing, it was funny and Mary couldn’t stop laughing.  Troy is a funny boy at times.

Today we caught the train from Riomaggiore to La Spezia to get our bus heading for Nice, France.  We arrive at the La Spezia train station and wait for our Busabout guide to pick us up.  We had some lunch at MacDonald’s and don’t know why we eat the stuff.  We got onto our bus just after 12 noon and we headed for Nice in France.  We drove through amazing countryside and stopped at a service stop for a short break. On our way to Nice on the bus we drove through Monaco and saw the amazing harbour with the multimillion dollar yachts.  The views from our street above looking down was fantastic.  Our guide pointed out just out of Monaco the church where the famous Bono got married and also pointed out his garden island.  Well all I can say to him “Well excuse me”. I managed to snap a few photos but they wouldn’t be the best considering they were taken from sitting on a moving bus, pics posted here. What a place to live. 

We arrived in Nice late in the afternoon about 6pm and checked into our room at the Antares Hotel.  Our hotel is right across the road from a train station and has a pretty good supermarket next door so its good.  We are sharing a room with 4 others.  We settled in for a while and then walked into town and checked out the beach.  We walked around for a few hours checking out the city and had a really nice pizza and lasagna for dinner which cost a bomb. It seems more expensive to eat here than in Italy but the supermarkets seem to be a bit cheaper.  We got back to our room and settled in for the night.  Mary started feeling sick (I think I am getting a flu) as I felt my temperature rise and the others didn’t want the window open because of the mossies so I didn’t sleep.  I felt like crap and just wanted some fresh air.  

2 JUNE 2010 - Today Mary feeling like crap due to lack of sleep and bad cough and throwing up we went to have breakfast.  We bought a croissant each which were cheap but Mary didn’t feel up to eating.  We walked around the corner and found a camera shop so we bought a new digital SLR.  Yippee!  

Even though I just wanted to crawl into bed we caught the train from Nice Ville to Monte Carlo, Monaco for the day.  We spent the day walking around checking out the city and all its glory and seeing how the multi-millionaires live. The streets were full of porsches, BMW’s, Lamborginis and other flash cars. We walked down to the port of Monaco and admired all those very very flash yachts.  We felt very poor walking around this amazingly rich city.  The yachts were incredible, massive ones that well excuse me had several smaller yachts parked in the “garage” in the guts of the bigger yacht.  Well Troy was enjoying it.  We had lunch with the best view overlooking the entire Monaco harbour - hard life and we had some very nice Monaco chocolates for dessert.  

Everywhere we went there were people walking their dogs and all that was going through my head was Tony’s voice saying in his perfect French accent “does your dog bite”. This place is truly only for multi-millionaires and its amazing to see how they live while we are wearing our “Target” t-shirts and eating our 3 euro baguette bought from the supermarket.

Late afternoon we caught the train back from Monte Carlo to Nice which took about 30 minutes. We got back to Nice and went to the supermarket and bought ravioli, sauce and brie cheese and crackers for dinner which Troy cooked at the hostel.  An early night for us.   

3 JUNE 2010 - We had a slack day today.  We spent most of the day at the hostel taking it easy and catching up on our blog.  About 3.00pm we went for a walk to the beach.  We were going to go for a swim but it was so windy and no-one was in the water.  So we decided to walk check out more of the old town.  We had a “socca” for a snack, a flat crepe  sort of tasted like chick peas.  We walked back home and Troy made dinner again, this time gnocci and brie with olives and salami. Its great to have some home cooked meals in the kitchen at our hostel.   An early night tonight to pack and relax a bit and get ready tomorrow to go to beautiful Switzerland.  

Post your own travel photos for friends and family More Pictures

Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: