The Big Easy.

Trip Start Jun 28, 2012
Trip End Aug 28, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United States  , Louisiana
Monday, July 23, 2012

2 very short flights from Austin via Huston and I was in New Orleans for the first time since 2005. Loved "NOLA" last time I was here with George. We drank way too many Cosmopolitans in a leather bar, danced the night away to "Hey Ya" by OutKast, spend a fortune on clothes (it was $2 to the then) chased Charlotte Church around a shopping mall and flashed our man boobs at the screaming girls on the balconies of Bourbon St in order to obtain shiny beads! What a blast we had!!

A couple of months later, Hurricane Katrina devastated the city, killing many residents. It was very sad seeing all those people outside the super bowl crying out for help, knowing George and I were standing in the same spot not long before.

I was originally booked to stay at a hotel right in the middle of the French Quarter, but changed my mind at the last minute, and opted to stay at The Harrah's. First thing I did was arrange for a laundry company to collect all my clothes for cleaning. Cost quite a lot $51, but worth it really. Unfortunately, yet another hotel that "nickel and dime" you for everything. $6 for the water in your room, and $10 for the worst "high speed" internet ever!

The French Quarter was mostly untouched by Katrina, so it was exactly how I remembered it. Loud, brash and full of party people. First stop was a great karaoke bar called The Cat's Meow. I didn't intend on going there, but really needed to escape the heat. Ordered a HUGE Scotch & Diet. The karaoke host sang some great songs. Can't say the same for the customers though!! Had a couple of drinks in one of the gay bars, but to be honest, the music in gay bars in the states is USUALLY awful. They tend to rely on boring video compilations. Give me a live DJ playing a bit of Funky House or Disco any day!

Got bored with that really quickly, and went up Bourbon St and into a bar called Hand Grenade (I think). Met some great people and got rotten drunk with them. The bar had a really good old fashion rock band on that kept us entertained into the small hours. On the way home, had the best hot dog ever, and stood in a pot hole filled with rancid water. Proper night out!!

The next morning, I went for a walk along the banks of the Mississippi, and shopping for a new pair of trainers. In the evening, I went to a bar called Funky 544 that had an amazing band playing called The Connection. They played loads of old school classics. The bar had "shot girls" wandering around offering shots from a test tube. Way too pushy. Got on my nerves after a while.

Had a very early flight to Fort Lauderdale on Thursday morning, so decided to have just a couple of afternoon drinks and an early night. Anyone that saw my FB update "@airport, 6.30am with hangover" will know how my "early night" went! Ended up off Bourbon St in a really friendly neighbourhood bar called Johnny White's hole in the wall. Later on in the day, the sky got really dark, and the heavens opened. Thunder and lightning and horizontal rain! Didn't last long, but quite dramatic at the time.

Had a great time in "Nawlins" but 2 or 3 days is really enough for anyone!

Party on NOLA!

p.s I LOVE America and the people in it, but if just ONE more person calls me Australian, or says I have a funny accent (It's a f*cking ENGLISH accent!) or say's "Scotch and diet...REALLY?" or even worse, "Do you want lime in that?" I will cause a major international incident. Rant meeeeee!

Videos may not load...crap internet again. Will re-load them when I can. X

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


George on

I am glad you got to relive our time in Norlinz! Hope your case was not full of plastic beads when you opened it at your next destination....

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: