The Last Hurrah!

Trip Start Apr 23, 2012
Trip End May 24, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
The Corot Hotel

Flag of Italy  , Lazio,
Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Thank goodness for sunshine on my last day. I will say that walking and standing in Italy has taken a toll on my feet and knees!

Had a marvelous day! It doesn't sound like I did a lot, but the things I did took time and were phenomenal! The Vatican Museum, including the Cappella Sistina, and St. Peter's Bacillaca.

I am so ticked off. I had this entire thing written and was adding the photos and poof, it's all gone and I am tired. Thinking about just adding photos and calling it a day. And it was so good too!! bah Humbug!
Well, it appears that sleep is beyond me. So I will try again.

Took a 40 Express bus to Vatican City. Thank goodness for a lovely young woman who spoke excellent English and told me that the stop I wanted was the last stop. I thought the bus was full and the people kept getting on. The personal space here is much smaller than at home.

Found my way to the Vatican Museum, showed my invoice, and began my tour. the museum is gigantic. One could just go straight to the Sistine Chapel, but then you would miss so much. There are so many things to see you would be all day if you saw them all, so it pays to be selective. There are paintings, statues, huge-huge chart and maps, tapestries, statues, and did mention the stairs? There are antiquities from Egypt and the Etruscan era and statues. There is a short route to the Sistine Chapel, but then you would miss some major paintings. I cruised the galleries paying more attention to the things that caught my eye. For a short while I was close to a couple with a private guide and I gathered some information.
Finally I entered the Sistine Chapel! There are just not words to describe the experience. The room was super crowded, but most people were hushed by the experience. I found a place to sit along one wall and was able to take my time and survey the ceiling. And it was time to sit down. To sit, to relax, to soak up this phenomenal masterpiece. I avoided looking at the massive blue wall behind the altar which to me detracts from the whole. I know that Michelangelo did not paint the huge scenes below the ceiling, but they do not detract. After a while I found a seat on the opposite side of the room and was able to survey the rest of the work. In all of my travels, and the fantastic things that I have seen, both in nature and man made, this brought tears to my eyes! All the elements working together. The amount of work to get it all done. Unbelievable!
When one leaves the chapel there are still galleries that you have to go through, but I just walked straight through. After that experience I was filled. It as you exit there is a brass double helix stairway/ramp that is pretty cool in itself. And then out into the crowded, hectic, manic world which is Rome.

So there was nothing else to do but buy a cone of gelato! Yum!

Now it is time to follow the museum walls down and around the bend, through the arch, around 1/2 of the colonnade and so back to St. Peter's Square. At that time the line was about 1/2 way around the square. I had not realized that every Wednesday the Pope gives an address to the square.So the Bacilica doesn't open until 1:00 and it was just after that time. Actually the line moved pretty quickly. Met a trio of young People from Mexico. We moved through the line together and conversation helped. Saw a couple of brides having their pictures taken in the square.

And then one enters St. Peter's Bascilica. My only regret is that I didn't talk to a couple of my Roman Catholic friends and ask if there was something special they would like a picture of. There are just so many wonderful things to see. This church is massive! And oh so special! Humbling comes to mind.

By the time I left St. Peter's my heart was full, I felt extremely blessed, and it was after 4:00. I had been on my feet since 8am and wasn't sure if I could even make it to the bus stop. Was so lucky, a young woman gave me her seat and my hotel is only about one minute from the Termini Station. I bought some fruit on the way back to my room and I haven't left it since. A quiet night after a full, exhausting, and marvelous last day.

In the morning I catch a 6:30 train to get to the airport. My flight is scheduled for 9:40. And back to the States I come! Any one who wants to be thoughly bored by all my shenanigans, just give me a call and I will do my best!!!
See ya soon!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Becky on

Well, my dear friend, look at what you have done for yourself over these past several weeks!
I have felt a special place in my heart as I have looked through your pictures and read your blogs....I have saved your blogs and the pictures....Perhaps, after you get through your "jet-lag" and come up for air, we can sit in the archives and go back through them, if you want to....
I am sure you're probably on a plane right now...So, go with the flow, nurture your spirit and enjoy this one today...My thoughts and my prayers go with you....
Hug, Hug,

melapet on

I will be happy to bore you to tears with my photos and stories! But I may see you before you read this.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: