Our holiday begins... and the missing bag saga

Trip Start Jul 04, 2014
Trip End Aug 06, 2014

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Indonesia  , Java,
Saturday, July 5, 2014

July 4-6, 2014

Our flight was supposed to leave at 2:00, but was an hour and a half late so we didn't leave until 3:30 am! We were both tired and looking forward to sleeping once we got on the plane. Unfortunately, the meal schedule didn’t think we should be sleeping and instead felt that we should be having dinner. I must say that dinner at 4:30 am is a bit strange… We ate most of it, but found it rather bland and could have at least used some salt to liven it up a bit. The highlight was definitely the ice cream bar. Afterwards we both slept and dozed for a few hours which passed the time nicely. We had breaky just before landing and again found it bland. You definitely want to carry some salt and pepper with you if you are flying Cathay! The flight was 12 hours long and we landed in Hong Kong at 7 am local time.

We thought about heading out to explore the city for a bit, but checked the weather forecast and discovered that it was feels like 44 degrees with humidity of 87%. We decided that might be a tad warm considering that we had to carry our loaded down daypack with us and still had one more leg of the journey to make. Instead we picked up a coffee and wandered around from quiet gate to quiet gate for awhile. Eventually we found a free lounge chair and snoozed for a bit. We got some wonton soup and noodles for lunch and enjoyed both although the noodles were a tad spicy. We watched the planes take off and land before boarding our next flight to Surabaya. This leg was 4 hours and we had a second lunch on board.

We landed at 7:15 pm local time and made our way to the luggage carousel. It took a long time for our first bag to appear and then there was a long gap until the second bag. We waited until the very end when they shut off the carousel and my bag still hadn’t shown up! We then had to file a lost claim which Anoop filled out. She said she would send it off to Hong Kong that night and we decided to call back the next day to see what the status was. We headed out to meet Nalini and Shankar almost an hour after landing. We were the last ones to come out and had been wondering where we were. We explained about the bag and then drove off to their place which was about an hour away. We had some fruit and a quick visit before heading off to bed.

We woke up around 6 am and snoozed a bit longer. We had a nice cup of tea while we waited to call the airport to find out around my bag. When Anoop finally got a hold of them, they said that they hadn’t filed the report yet and would do it around 1:30 pm because of something to do with how they can file it. We decided that we had better try to contact the Hong Kong luggage department because the flight left at 2:40 and we didn’t think there would be enough time to get the bag on the flight otherwise. The luggage guy checked their lost and found for us and found my bag! He said he would put it on the afternoon flight, and that he would fax the Surabaya airport asking for the claim to be filed. We felt some relief that I wouldn’t have to go without my clothes for much longer. We heard from the Surabaya airport that afternoon and they confirmed that my bag would be on the flight.

We then headed off to a nearby mall to pick up some things and have lunch. The malls here are huge! We did our running around and then headed back home to have a quick dinner. Then we were off to the airport for another hour long drive. Anoop went in through security to pick it up off the carousel and returned an hour later without my bag… it hadn’t shown up… again!!! So we went back outside and called Hong Kong again. Apparently, this time, my luggage tag had been ripped off and so it hadn’t been put on the flight – but they did know that it was my bag and where to send it. So, back we went to pack up for our first part of the trip. At this point it was after 9 pm and the malls were all closed. I hadn’t bought anything when we were running around earlier since two different airports assured me that my bag would be on it. So I borrowed some pjs and a shirt from Nalini and had to make do with jeans and the shirts I had taken as carry-on. We went to bed after midnight, but we were ready for our first jaunt the next morning.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name. < > \ / are not accepted
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Tian on

OMG that really sucks not to have your own stuff after a long flight, and all the reassurances the airport folks gave! :S Hope you got your bag FINALLY!

MYL on

OMG how frustrating!!!!!!!!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: