Finally in Greece!

Trip Start Oct 28, 2004
Trip End Aug 08, 2005

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Greece  ,
Monday, July 11, 2005

Well after 26 hours of traveling we've finally made it to Greece! We left Chaing Mai via plane around 2:30pm and arrived, once again, in Bangkok around 3:30. Our flight wasn't scheduled to leave until 12:35am so we headed into town to kill time. We thought we were going to head to the Good Charlotte concert (for $10 US dollars) but considering we had to be back to the airport around 10pm there wouldn't be much point in going. Instead we went to see a movie. Movies in Thailand usually cost $2 to see but at the theatre we chose we splurged and spent $8. But $8 didn't just get you into a see a movie, $8 gave you a VIP lounge before the show with free drinks and snacks, huge red leather reclinging lazy boys, a blanket, a pillow, a pair of socks and table service. That's right, you could have your popcorn delivered to you. Amazing. The most interesting part of seeing a movie in Thailand is that after the previews and before the feature presentation everyone stands and pays tribute to his majesty the king by watching a heartfelt montage of the king interacting with his people set to the music of the Thai national anthem. Just think if we did that for George Bush or any other president. Hmmm.

We made it back to the airport, like the good travelers we are, around 10pm. We collected our luggage and sat waiting for check in to be announced. By 11:30 it hadn't been and we finally found someone to talk to about it. Of course the flight had been delayed until 5:15 am and they were setting us up in the hotel across the street. Of course we should have known. There were no signs or announcements so of course we didn't know and could have been sleeping all that time. The hotel was supposed to wake us up at 3am so we could check out by 4am and make our flight. But no, our call was at 2am and we only got a few hours of sleep. The flight was a long one, ten and a half hours, and again we didn't get any movies until the last hour of the flight. Molly and I didn't get to sit together but this time we both had aisle seats so at least that made it better. Molly's seat buddy slept the whole time and mine was rather talkative. Either way we had an enjoyable flight and finally made it to Athens.

Molly's Uncle Paul was able to fly out of Florida despite the hurricane and met us just a few hours later. Surprisingly jet lagged hadn't affected us too badly and we were able to make it to dinner to eat our first greek meal. We've decided to be turbo tourists while in Athens and see all we can. On our list we have all the ruins (acropolis, temple of zeus, etc), the National Archeological Museum to see more old things, and of course the Interactive Math Museum (which is "enchanting for both children and adults"). We have just two days to do it before we head to the islands. Hopefully two days will be enough for Molly to learn all she can in the exhibit: "Is there an answer to everything? A journey through the amazing world of Greek mathmatics."
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: