It'll be funny in hindsight

Trip Start Oct 28, 2004
Trip End Aug 08, 2005

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  ,
Sunday, June 26, 2005

Much to our dismay our flight from Melbourne to Sydney was scheduled at 7:55 am, forcing us to get up at 4:45am to catch the hour bus ride to the airport at 5:30. Everything was going according to plan...a little too accordingly as the bus ride ended up only being about a half hour. Maybe there just wasn't traffic so early in the morning making it half the time of the previous bus ride. Anyways, we were at the airport with plenty of time to check in and have breakfast before boarding, proving once again what good travelers Molly and I have proven to be. However, when we told the woman we were flying to Sydney she replied, "Well not from this airport at least." Right. It was 6am and we were at the wrong airport. Noone told us that there were two airports in town. Two airports that both housed domestic flights from the same airlines. She gave us the option of taking a $90 cab to the airport to catch our flight or she would bump us to the 12pm flight and we could just bus it back to the city where we would bus hop back to the correct airport. We chose the latter option as it was a bit cheaper, not by much but we'll take what we can get. With six hours to kill we decided we would grab some breakfast, and on my wise suggestion decided that if we were traveling back to the city we might as well eat a meal there instead of dining on greasy McDonalds take away. Perfect. It was just around 7am when we made it back into the city where it was still dark and people were still roaming the streets drunk. And to top things off no food establishment was open for business. Not even a coffee shop. Sure it was a Sunday morning, but where do all the church dwellers go to perk themselves up before a morning's sermon? And better yet, where do all the club kids go to sober up before the car ride home? Oh, they just sleep in their cars. And boy do we wish we had a car to do the same thing. We tried every food possibility in a five block radius with no luck. So we sat in front of the McDonalds and waited for them to open their doors at 8am.

We finally made it to the correct airport and back to Sydney and the humble abode of Enoch Strange and our trusty tour guide Dion. It's only 3pm and we feel as if we should be eating dinner and going to bed soon. Probably for the best since we have an 11 hour plane ride ahead of us tomorrow.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: