Hot Water Beach

Trip Start Oct 28, 2004
Trip End Aug 08, 2005

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of New Zealand  ,
Tuesday, November 16, 2004

The drive from Paihai to Hahei today was rather uneventful. No hitchhikers, no wandering sheep...just us and the winding roads...

We made it to Hahei in the Corromandel Pennisula during the early evening and found that campsites are ridiculously over priced. $12 a person...not our style. We headed over to Hot Water Beach and yet again made our homestead in a parkinglot. We made a tasty dinner and then went to bed early. It rained through the night, and while we were safe in the comfort of the Big Top the millions of rain drops on our tin roof kept us awake with a great soundtrack. I think I now understand what the woman in St.Augustine was talking about when she said, "It rained so hard that it sounded like a horse pissing on a flat rock."

Of course it was still raining when we woke up so we spent a rather lazy morning laying in the car reading and sleeping. The rain subsided just as the tide was going out making the beach perfect for digging holes. Yes, we grabbed our spade and made our way to the beach and with the 50 other tourists dug holes in front of the big rock as to experience the natural hot water pools. Molly and I watched from the sidelines for the most part. The air outside was cold and the water was scalding. The whole event reminded me a lot of Woodstock. Not that I was at Woodstock, but 50-100 people all crowded in the same 30 foot sqaure section all muddy from the sand and hot water was something I would guess you'd see there. Plus all the Europeans were wearing speedos.

We decided to blast off when the tide came back in and it convientantly started raining again. Unfortunately, however, Angie decided not to start on us. We located the jumper cables but for the life of us couldn't find the battery. With the engine underneath the front seats you would assume it would be right there but it was in the space behind the drivers seat. 1988 was a peculiar year for van making it seems. We solicited the help from 4 Isreali bakcpackers and they gave Ange enough juice to get her started. We chatted with our new friends for awhile before making our way to Cathedral Cove.

The hike to Cathedral cove took about 45 minutes and it was a great tramp. It was cool and when you weren't tramping through amazing forrests you were over looking the ocean. The cove was such a site. Quite worth the trek.

Being late we decided to treat ourselves to dinner out. Unfortunately Hahei doesn't offer much on a Sunday night. Okay, so it doesn't offer much to begin with but offers nothing on a Sunday night. With little gas we headed south to the next town of Tairua. We found this cute cafe overlooking the water that had just opened days before. We had quite possibly the best food of the trip for mere dollars. We ate, drank some wine, and chatted with the owners before getting back in the van, pulling around the corner and parking the van in front of the lake for a restful night's sleep. And yes, it rained again. All night.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: