Beantown: Day 3

Trip Start Feb 15, 2010
Trip End Feb 14, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Brock & Jennapher's

Flag of United States  , Massachusetts
Friday, April 23, 2010

Today I started out by going back to the Boston Common for a short while before going to check out the inside of the Massachusetts State House.  There was a school choir doing a performance on the main stairwell of the building while I was there, and it was pretty neat hearing the sound of the choir resonating throughout the large stone building.  The stairwells themselves were also interesting.  I read that after the railings for the stairs were completed, the molds were destroyed to prevent anyone else from using the same design.  I didn't spend a lot of time inside the state house, and since my camera battery was nearly dead, I didn't want to use my camera too much in any one place.  I had forgotten to switch it with the charged one in my car that morning, but it would have taken too long to go all the way back to switch it at that point, so I resorted to taking a few shots that didn't matter as much with my cellphone.

Next, I traveled into the Italian district of the city to find a place for lunch.  Jennapher had recommended a restaurant called Antica Forno, so I stopped there.

My next stop of the day was to Harvard University to take their historical tour.  Despite their rivalries, the university seemed to have a lot in common with Yale.  Right down to having a statue with a lucky foot.  Unfortunately, the Harvard tour was almost entirely focused on the exterior of the buildings;  I really would have liked to see the interiors of some of the places like the library or the Sanders Theater.  The tour did cover a lot of interesting history and basic information about the school, though, so it was worthwhile.

My next stop was to the campus of M.I.T.  I did not check to see if they offered any tours, but I did stop for a moment to visit the museum where a number of current and ongoing research projects at the school are exhibited and explained. 

After leaving the museum, I stopped at an ice cream parlor named, Toscanini's.  It is supposedly pretty famous for having the best ice cream in the area, so I thought I'd give it a try.  It was pretty amazing.  All of the ice cream is freshly made on the premises and it was very thick and creamy.  It was the kind of ice cream you almost feel requires chewing as it slowly melts away on your tongue.  I had a scoop of malted vanilla and one of mango sorbet. 

After walking around the neighborhood a bit longer, I found the nearest "T" station (subway) and headed back to Brock & Jennapher's to have dinner at their place before they left on a trip to Newport.  After dinner, I thanked the two of them for graciously allowing me to crash on their couch the past couple of nights.  I had one more stop for the night before leaving town, so I left my car parked at their apartment, they gave me a ride back to the metro, we said our goodbyes, and went our separate ways.  Then I headed back to the Harvard campus where I went to see a performance of Into the Woods that I had seen advertised earlier that day.  It's a show I had been meaning to see for quite a while.  It's sort of a twisted conglomeration of a bunch of popular fairy tales. 

After the show, I made my way back to my car and drove west to Framingham, MA. 

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: