Class then Bus Trip to Belfast via Dublin

Trip Start Jul 01, 2009
Trip End Jul 25, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Kim and Dave's House

Flag of United Kingdom  , Northern Ireland,
Thursday, July 9, 2009

Oh, it's getting more and more difficult to get up early. (I needed to rise a bit sooner than normal to ensure that I had everything I needed with me for my trip up to visit Kim.) My walks into campus have become "power walks" these past few times. I've really gotten a cardio boost from them, if nothing else! It's about a mile and into campus. Those of you who know me best also know how I tend to pack too much into my mornings. This inevitably causes me to often become late for whatever it is I'm heading toward. (I am working on that character flaw though.)
Anyway, our morning lecture was given by an education psychologist for the area. These are in short supply as one psychologist must manage the caseloads of numerous schools and counties. She spoke of the learning difficulties in mainstream education for those students with special needs. Upon lunch break I headed across the hall to one of the student labs. (Our dorm room has horrible connections. Terry did a "check" to find out the speed and it came out as that of what you get for dial up. So, Mom, you know exactly how I feel right now.) I ate my packed lunch as I worked at checking emails, etc. I also started on my blog for yesterday's journey since I didn't have time to do it prior. Another girl in my group asked me to look over her paper. I agreed hoping that it would inspire me to get moving on mine. (No such luck.)
Wouldn't you know, time evaporated again. Even with an hour and fifteen minutes for lunch I felt as though I got very little done and needed to head back to class. Our afternoon lecture was given by a professor at the University and she told us more about the Irish Education System. I'm beginning to get a clearer understanding of their policies and procedures. That's a good think since my papers are still non-existent as of yet. She was the first presenter to actually end on time. They are very into punctuality for the start of things here, but rarely finish on time. I then ran back over to the computer lab, tried to print my trip confirmation and then headed down to Eyre Square to catch my bus.
Here I am sitting on the bus writing. The bus left at 4:33, only three minutes off schedule. I now have a three hour ride to Dublin. I will then have to wait at the station for about 30 minutes until my second connecting bus up to Belfast. It will be 11:30 pm when I arrive. What a journey! At least I got to sit by myself all of the way out. This allowed me to spread out and get some work done.
The City Centre was packed. I had a difficult time navigating my way to the bus station. People were just walking everywhere. Well, I guess they are all out driving now. We ended up running twenty minutes behind schedule due to the traffic, which was okay because I would have to wait in Dublin anyway. I was so excited to look out the window as we passed through a town called, Moate. Off to the left was a pub called, "Galvin's". It was too late to get a photograph but I think I remember where it was and will get one on my next trip out to Dublin in a week. I arrived at the Dublin Busaraus station and I had just enough time to run to the bathroom and buy a banana. Interestingly, you have to pay to use the bathroom, and they require exact change. A woman coming out of it was nice enough to give me 10 cents to add to my 10. The trip to Belfast was uneventful and the time seemed to pass rather quickly. Unfortunately, as we arrived the driver announced that the terminal had closed at 11 pm. Great! We were 15 minutes ahead of schedule so Dave, Kim's husband, wasn't quite there to meet me. Luckily my cell phone works over here so I gave him a call. He said that he was on his way. There I stood along the street and watched all of the taxi's drivers across the street. Man was it cold out! I could tell I had come much farther North.
Dave pulled up shortly and we headed to their townhome. He had made me a nice sausage dinner with gravy and garlic mashed potatoes. Yum! I usually never eat sausage, but this was very sweet and delicious. Kim was still awake as well, but did I mention she had broken her arm? She emailed me two days before I left and said that it might not be a good idea for me to come up due to her falling. But, I had just purchased my bus ticket that afternoon, so I told her to expect me as planned. We retired around 2 pm. A VERY long day for me!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: