Arizona to Grand Canyon

Trip Start Dec 14, 2007
Trip End Jan 10, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Arizona
Saturday, December 22, 2007

Today was a very early start as we were hot air ballooning over Phoenix, Arizona.

We arrived at our destination as it started to get light. This morning was freezing so we stayed in the bus until they were ready for us. I had never been in a hot air balloon before but was excited. There were 6 of us in our group. I have never really been scared of heights, so that wasn't an issue.

We had the most amazing view of Phoenix.  After a little while the sun starting shining. We had great views of everything. There were some amazing landscapes. There were sections with lots of houses and then areas of just land for miles.  You could see that nearly every house had a pool. It must get so hot in summer!!

 We were floating along for over an hour and as we started to land people came out from their houses to take photos.

A few people from our tour missed doing this because they stayed out really late and couldn’t get out of bed. I am so glad I didn’t as we had such a great view of everything and got some really amazing photos.

We were given a champagne breakfast when we got back on the bus.

We met up with the tour bus about 15 minutes down the road. Apparently we took longer than expected. We got back on the  bus and saw a lot of hung over people, especially Megan who celebrated her 21st birthday last night. She had to wait till 12pm before she could get into the club so I doubt she would have got back much earlier than when we left.

We were now on our way to Sedona to get our group shot done.  We had great views on the way to red rock country of the desert and plenty of cacti!!.

We stopped off at Bell rock for a couple of minutes for our group shot in front of the rock.

Next we were off to Main Street Sedona. Once we arrived at Main Street Sedona we were given about half an hour to get some lunch or wander around before our Jeep tour. The town was surrounded by red rock landscapes. Yet again it was cold but really sunny.

The Jeep tour went for about 45 minutes. It was ok but you expected them to drive faster than what they did. A couple of people in our jeep were feeling a bit sick from the night before!! We had real cowboys driving the Jeeps also. They seemed to have a lot of knowledge of the area. It still seemed worth it as we had some great views of the red rocks along the way.

We stopped for about 5 minutes at the Van Derin cabin and one of the cowboys talked about the history of Sedona.

After the Jeep ride we headed back to the bus and we were now off to the Grand Canyon.

After another few hours on the bus we were heading into the Canyon. As we got closer there was snow on the sides of the road.

We were warned before getting off the bus that it would be rather cold. This was going to be our first view of the Canyon.

Cap had us walk towards the Canyon in groups. We had to have our hands on the shoulder of the person in front of us and keep our heads down. Cap would then slowly walk us towards the Canyon and line us in front of it. He said this would be the best way see the Canyon for the first time. He told us when to open our eyes. 

This was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. Everyone was silent as we all looked into the distance. It was absolutely huge. There was snow on the edges of the Canyon. The Canyon was breath taking. Words will never describe what it was like to see this place, truly amazing.

After an amazing view of the Canyon we got back on the bus and headed to our accommodation which were cabins at the Grand Canyon. It was a bit of an effort getting our luggage to the room as we were in the second floor. Luggage was a bit heavy to drag up the stairs but we made it!.

Teresse, Heather and I went to the lodge to get some diner which was included. After diner everyone went to the bar for some drinks. The three of us went for a little while and then we went to Anita and Lydia’s room to play cards and have a couple of drinks. After that it was off to bed as it was going to be a big day tomorrow.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: