Island Hopping in Fiji

Trip Start Sep 02, 2007
Trip End Feb 28, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Kuata Resort
South Sea Island
Wana Taki Boat

Flag of Fiji  ,
Thursday, February 14, 2008

When we landed at Nadi International Airport we had to transfer our holiday vouchers for tickets and then get a courtesy bus to the Nadi Bay Resort Hotel for our first night.  We stayed in a dorm with no air conditioning that night in stifling heat so it wasn't easy to sleep.
We had to be up early to get our bus transfer and catch the Yasawa Flyer boat for our island hopping.  The big yellow catamaran acts as a bus service between all of the Yasawa Islands and some of the Mamanucas.  On this first day we sailed the whole 4 hours to the furthest islands, passing lots of beautiful looking islands on the way.  Here we stayed on Tavewa at Coral View Resort.  A smaller boat came to the big boat to transfer us over and once we got to the beach there was a big welcome party of staff.  They all joined hands and shouted, "Bula!" meaning welcome/cheers.
It was lunchtime and during our lunch the staff welcomed us all in the traditional musical way and with plenty of smiles.  The rest of the afternoon was spent on the beach reading and snoozing.  We obviously stayed out there too late into the afternoon as a load of mosquitoes had bitten us to shreds, as we discovered later.
That day was one of the staff's birthdays so everyone was really cheerful and we sang happy birthday.  Birthday = cake to us so we were glad to have some chocolate cake for desert.  A campfire was lit on the beach that night and we sat around talking with everyone.
The next morning we went on the trip to the 'Blue Lagoon' where a film of that name was made.  Turned out it wasn't actually a lagoon but a really nice beach with crystal clear water lapping onto it.  Most of the afternoon was spent on the beach again, except for afternoon tea and cake!
Again we were on the beach the next morning until the boat came to take us on to the next destination, the Wanna Taki boat.  This was a live aboard boat with one huge dorm and air con, plus plenty of activities to keep us entertained.  In the afternoon we went kayaking and after our Spag Bol tea there was a Fiji quiz.  Our team didn't have a clue of any answers but at the end the quizmaster gave us a free cocktail between the six of us!
After our breakfast in the blazing 7am sun the next day we went on the snorkelling trip around the coast.  The reef we swam along was astounding and the water was very clear.  It was also the first time Mark felt completely comfortable when snorkelling.  There were lots of colourful fish and we even saw a group of Giant Parrot Fish.
After lunch the Yasawa Flyer was back to take us to Kuata.  Because it was Sunday there was only one staff member to welcome us and it felt like a bit of a ghost town.  At night we discovered that none of the lights in our dorm had bulbs in them so we couldn't see a thing.  Dinner wasn't special and there was not much to keep us entertained that night, so everyone was in bed and asleep by 10pm!
After the usual lounging on the beach in the morning, the two of us and five other girls from our resort went across to a village in Waya Lailai.  In the village we saw the houses and met some locals (all shouting Bula!) including an old man wearing an England shirt!  We also visited the school and met all the kids.  Most of them wanted to be photographed and then see the pictures; they were really cute!
At the local market we got to weave our own bracelets for a small fee under the guidance of the market ladies.  Whilst sat on the stalls the package tourists came to the island and when they saw us all they assumed we were locals too!  This trip was one of the most rewarding things we did in Fiji.
The second night on Kuata was livelier.  They had a delivery of supplies so we finally had light in our dorm.  Our man Moses managed to cobble together a crab race that night.  Theresa bought Colin but then Moses dropped him and he died, so he was duly thrown out of the door!  We had to rename the next crab as Colin 2 but in the race he was useless!  We also learned two dances that night; it was a lot of fun.
The next afternoon we were back on the boat to our last island, South Sea.  We'd seen it on our way north, a tiny island paradise.  Even on this tiny island there was room for a swimming pool.  It was much livelier here and after a well organised crab race there were a few games and then drinking games.  In one of these drinking games face paint was involved.  Theresa got away with a clean face but Mark had a huge blob on his forehead, a handlebar moustache and a goatee!
Our last day out on the islands felt like the hottest day.  Even though we tried to keep out of the sun we managed to get burned.  There were plenty of ways to cool off: the pool, the sea, the shade.  The downside of this island was that day trippers visit it and it becomes overcrowded, not like the other hideaways on the islands.
At 5pm it was time to get the boat one last time back to the mainland and one last night at Nadi Bay Resort.  Thankfully this time we had an air conditioned room so we were able to sleep comfortably.  Our last day was spent lounging around the hotel until it was time to go to the airport and fly to the US of A.
Love Mark and Theresa xxxx
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: