Mark goes skydiving

Trip Start Sep 02, 2007
Trip End Feb 28, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
The Purple Cow Backpackers

Flag of New Zealand  ,
Tuesday, January 22, 2008

We went to Lake Wanaka, partly because everyone said it was really nice, but mostly because Mark had his heart set on doing his skydive there. 

We arrived with the skydive booked for the following day. When we arrived it was a really nice hot sunny day, and we went for a walk by the lake, got a sandwich for lunch each from a bakery, sitting by the lake to gobble them up.

The following day we got up and it was raining, and it didn't stop raining all day.  Mark was not happy. The skydive was cancelled and rearranged for the following morning. Instead we went to Puzzling World, which had a 3D holographic photo gallery, a weird room where loads of 3D faces followed you about, a room which was a massive slope and all your sense of balance was sent right off as the walls were at funny angles, and a massive maze. We spent ages here and it was fun, but Mark would have rather done his skydive.

Luckily the next day the sun was shining so Mark was able to do the jump!! We got to the sky dive centre bright and early. There were a few others doing the jump that morning, and everyone had to sit down to watch a safety breifing.  Mark was in the third group to jump and when the time had come he put on his fabulous multi-coloured jumpsuit and his jump buddy, Simon from Quebec, secured the harness to him and he met Henk, the video man.  Then it was up, up and away 15,000 feet up.  The scenery was magnificent with mountains and lakes all around.  When it was nearly time to jump Simon joined up with Mark and soon the door was open, time to jump!

Simon edged us to the door where Mark kept grabbing the inside rail so as not to fall out.  A camera on the wing took a picture and on later inspection showed utter terror on Mark's face!  Then Simon bundled them out into freefall with Henk catching all of the action on film.  After sixty second of freefall  and spinning around, the parachute opened and they floated back down to base where Theresa was anxiously waiting.  The only injury was to Theresa when she smacked her leg on a post in the viewing area.

After watching the DVD back we both called our parents to let them know Mark had survived and then we hit the road, heading towards the west coast.

Love Mark and Theresa xxxx

Post your own travel photos for friends and family More Pictures

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: