Trip Start Sep 02, 2007
Trip End Feb 28, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Malaysia  ,
Thursday, November 8, 2007

And so we move on to country number five of the trip, Malaysia.  To travel to Pulau (island)Langkawi from Ko Lanta we had to get three minibuses and one ferry.  The first minibus took us to Trang and although we were late for the connecting bus it was still waiting and we were on our way to Satun.  Halfway there we had to meet another bus and swap over and the new bus took us to the ferry port in Satun.

The ferry from Satun to Langkawi was much smaller than we'd expected, but it did the job and an hour later we arrived at Kuah.  After getting some currency out we jumped on a taxi towards the main beach area on the island, Santai Cenang.  We eventually settled on somewhere not very nice to stop for the night (everwhere was full because 8th November was Deepavali) but wanted to find somewhere better the following morning.

First impressions of Langkawi weren't great, mainly because we arrived when it was busy and dark.  The change of accommodation was much better and for the same price.

Next we went to the Langkawi cable car and went up Mount Gunung Macincang to two viewing platforms of the whole island at around 700m above sea level.  The views were stunning and well worth the entrance fee to see.  Further down the hillside was a curved suspension bridge across to another viewing platform, not worth going on if you suffer from vertigo. (Which Mark does!! He was a little scared in the cable cars, but the real sweaty palms stuff came on the bridge!)

Once we'd had our fill we descended the hillside again and went to the Seven Wells waterfalls.  This involved a hike up a load of steps to the top falls, past all of the monkeys waiting to steal people's belongings.  We saw some monkeys lieing on their backs with their tummys in the air, basking in the sun.  We didnt get too close though as they looked like they might turn nasty.

There were lots of pools to lie in at the top and the rocks had created some water slides which the locals were clearly enjoying.  Mark went to look at the drop to the next pool and on the way back up he managed to slip on a rock and went sliding down.  Theresa was concerned about Mark banging his head (the clown!) but fortunately he came away with just a couple of scrapes on his left arm.

The lower pools were more spectacular, with a waterfall of more than 20 metres dropping in.  There were plenty of kids having fun and jumping into a deeper pool.

The next day was a lazy one, most of the afternoon was spent on the white sands of Cenang beach (similar to Hat Rin on Ko Phangan without the litter), topping up our suntans and cooling off in the sea. (Yes Mark has actually got a suntan now...well his neck is brown anyway!)

Our first impressions of Langkawi soon changed and we found it to be a pretty island with lots to do.

Next we were heading to Georgetown in Penang.

Love Mark and Theresa xx
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: