Easy Like Sunday Morning

Trip Start Aug 15, 2008
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Oregon
Monday, August 25, 2008

Alright, so here are a few more photos from our first "real day" in Portland.

We got up and had a little breakfast at the house before we trekked downtown under the burnside bridge for saturday market. (don't be alarmed... I know we went on a day other than Saturday.... I'm not completely devoid of all of my bearings yet!) ;) In all reality, it is called Saturday Market (and Sundays too!) for us silly little Oregonians.

Soooo these little piggies (all we've been doing is eating) went to market and walked around with all the hippies, homeless, and random other folk and took a little peeksie at the goods from the local arts and craftsmen. Goodtimes.

After Saturday market, we headed past Chinatown into the northwest (yes, the northwest of the northwest) also lovingly called Nob (or Snob) Hill. It's the trendy upscale section. We walked around the shops a bit (I pretended I knew what I was talking about and gave some couple directions--- HA) and then we stopped and got mexican (are we close to mexico?? I'm not sure where we are anymore) hot chocolate to have as we sat outside watching the passersby.

After Nob Hill, we went to the mecca of all furniture shopping. IKEA!!! Yesssss! (We surely did not budget enough time for the huge warehouse of a store that is Ikea.) Seriously 4 hours later... we emerged exhausted like we had just been through furniture and accessory bootcamp. p.s. DON'T EVER go to Ikea on a weekend if you don't have to.... it's like running with the bulls... except the bulls are unruly children and foreigners who don't know how to drive shopping carts. Great Gravy. I'm pretty sure I've still got battle wounds.

After Ikea, we took a little stroll to the old neighborhood 'bucks... got some tea and stole some internet while we waited for the rain pass.

'Round 8 we met Laura and Brian at their new place (which is adorable by the way!) and caravanned to Bagdad (no not Iraq!) an old theater/brewpub where they serve tatertots as the side!!! (I mean.... c'mon! Tots for cryin' out loud!! Totally awesome!!!!)

After Bagdad, we trucked back home (still in the rain) and hung a few shelves (destroyed a few anchors trying to pound them into concrete-- p.s. the houses here are old and come with many a challenge for decorating) and went to sleep.

On our second "real day" in Portland (i.e. Monday), we hit up Hawthorne (the really awesome vintage section of SE Portland). Grabbed some bagel sandwiches from Noahs (delicious NY style bagels) and wandered the seemingly endless strip of vintage clothing and furniture shops. At the end of the strip, we stumbled upon a vintage furniture store that actually had a really cute old desk out front.. for cheap!

So we bought it... and loaded it in my car (poor mini mcvish... just can't get a break with the loading and unloading!) in the pouring rain!! Oh the northwest..... (sorry no pictures of the desk yet)

After the little downpour charade, it was on to Trader Joes for some grocery shopping!! Love TJ's! (I mean, nothing too exciting about grocery shopping... but it IS Trader Joes).

Did a little more decorating before bed, and slept like logs.

On My mom's last day in town, we pretty much just grabbed a quick breakfast (p.s. if you ever find yourself in portland at Grand Central Cafe for breakfast, you should grab a jammer. It's a flaky pastry with jam baked into the top... Mmmm....) and headed to the airport.

Minor tearfest later, and my mom was on her way back home to the real world... and I was on my way to Bed Bath and Beyond!

I ran a few more errands (had to find some way to give myself more closet space!! --- in case I forgot to mention, my closet is about the size of my thumb.... no bueno.) and headed back home to wash the United States of America off of my car. Oh man! was she dirty! Poor mini V. She needed a bath desperately! But, now she's nice and sparkly clean again :) Yay!!

So round dinnertime, Wendy came home just in time for left over Bellagio's pizza (scrumptrulescent!.... spinach and feta with an olive oil base instead of red sauce-- in case you were wondering) and a little Once action (such a good movie)..... then back to being unconscious for the night.

All in all, it was a great trip! We had such a wonderful time and I'm so glad that my mom could come out and see what I fell in love with.

Can't wait for you all to visit too!!

Thanks for reading the blog, and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed making it!!

One more entry as promised, and then it's fin for this little lady.

Stay tuned......
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: