On the road again

Trip Start Jul 12, 2009
Trip End Jul 26, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Canada  , Manitoba,
Sunday, July 12, 2009

Well, I have finally made it home, and decided that it may be time to update this blog.

The first day of travelling is always interesting. It started off as they usually do, a mix of excitement and nervousness. It hadn't quite sunk in that I was heading to Sweden for two weeks, two weeks that would surely be amazing. After the drama of trying to check in for my flight the day before (a joint flight between United and Air Canada, for which both airlines sent me to the other to check in, after a few hours on the phone with both airlines, I finally managed to check in) I finally found my gate and passed easily through U.S. customs.

My first flight to Chicago went well enough, very smooth considering that we were in a teeny tiny plane. The landing was a little terrifying though, it seemed that our pilot made some wrong turns and tried to over correct the turning the plane in the other direction. I know that I wasn't the only person on the plane going "oh my god oh my god oh my god", but the guy sitting next to me remained very calm, even when I unconsciously grabbed his shoulder about three times. I was extremely thankful when our plane touched the ground.

The terror I felt during the landing eliminated any feelings of excitement I had about getting to Sweden. I was extremely shaken, and could only think about how rough the landing had been. I found my way through the GIGANTIC airport to where I needed to be and found that I didn't have a seat assigment yet. I made it to the gate, to be told that I just needed to wait untill the could give me the seat assignment. After about twenty people got called before me, I started to wonder if I was on standby, and what would happen if I didn't get onto this flight. I had no way of contacting the people that were going to be waiting there to pick me up, and no idea when or how I would get onto the next flight. But, right as they started boarding, my name was called and I was releived to finally have a seat on the plane. 

I guess somewhere I pulled the short straw and wound up sitting in the middle of the row, with a baby behind me, a baby in front of me, and two small children sitting to my left. But, I at least was lucky enough to get to sit next to a very nice Swedish guy, who could speak English very well. 

After what seemed like an eternity, we finally landed at Arlanda. It was like wandering through a very poorly marked mase, but going through customs was easy enough and having bright green coloured checked baggage always seems to help get it off the plane very quickly. It was at this point that I realized whereI was, I was in Sweden! I felt greasy, and I was pretty sure that I smelt very gross, but I was in good spirits. I was so excited to walk into the arrivals lounge to meet Annika and Sofie, it was amazing to see them both again. We talked on the way back to Gävle like two years hadn't even passed. We stopped for some quick shopping, and then we were back at the house. I seemed almost exactly the same as last time, except for some slight renovations and the new baby, Ella. Ella was adorable, and seemed like a very happy intelligent baby. Extremely curious about everything, and an incredible eating machine! Very adorable! 

But, by noon I was already feeling exausted. I had already been awake for exactly twenty four hours, and knew that I couldn't go to bed for many many more hours. The day seemed to last forever (which was a good thing) and I was going through some major ups and downs in energy. The worst had to be while I was reading at the karate club at about seven. I could barely keep my eyes open, and found myself falling asleep every couple of seconds. The kids sitting right next to me watching t.v. must have thought I was crazy. Despite this, I managed to last untill about ten thirty that evening before finally crashing into bed. A grand total of a thirty-two hour day.    
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: