We Hit The Road

Trip Start Sep 25, 2007
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Michigan
Sunday, October 14, 2007

Hi All.
We got packed and got going early sunday the 14th for a day in San Fransisco before we flew out at 8pm.
Did the touristy thing along the waterfront and then took a drive across the G/G Bridge and back before making our way to the airport. We flew out at 8pm and landed in Detroit after a brief stopover in Denver at 5.30 am. The flight wasn't too bad as we gained 3 hour along the way. The kids were great. Carl Kline picked us up from the airport in a motorhome and shuttled us to his RV dealership in Warren, just north of Detroit. Carl's dad Paul took us out for breakfast to a nice little diner and we spent most of the day finalizing the deal and packing our gear into the Motorhome.  The guys and girls at Klines RV were fantastic.It is a real family business and they really looked after us. Thank you all. Our desicion to fly across the country  to  buy the  RV  was  a  good  one. We spent the fist 2 nights at a state park to the north of detroit while we familiarised ourselves with the RV and caught up with some sleep.
Wednesday morning we shipped out after stocking up on supplies and fitting out with all the necessary Bedding, kitchen gear, camp stoves etc.
We took the scenic 12 highway through Michigan to Indiana and found a beautifull state park on a lake we had all to ourselves as it is out of season. The next day we drove through Indiana into Illinois where we camped at Joliet just south of Chicago. This was where we started to explore Route '66.
For two days we avoided the interstate and drove through all the old towns bypassed when the interstate highways were build 50 odd years ago. Motels, Diners and Gas stations were the main fare through these towns, some still operating, some restored as tourist attractions and a lot of derelict buildings in between. Our highlights were finding the giant "Muffler Men". In their heyday they all held mufflers advertising them on the side of the road. Over the years a few have been restored and are carrying different things, flags, rockets and hotdogs for example.
  Sunday we reached St Louis and the Mighty Mississippi where we walked the old ''66 Chain Of Rocks Bridge preserved now as a pedestrian bridge.
It is over a mile long and for some reason they built it with a 15 degree bend in the middle. After some sight seeing we drove along the Missouri river through their wine growing region to Washington Missouri.
  Here we "boondocked for the first time in the parking lot at the local shopping centre. Some big stores like Wal-Mart welcome RVers to camp overnight in their lots. I am writing this in a Wal-Mart lot in Albuquerque New Mexico surrounded by 8 other motorhomes all forming an unofficial campground. We have found these other travelers more friendly than the official campground types in their big million dollar + rigs.
Back to the trip. Sunday night we camped at a state park (our favorite type of park)   near Lebanon and did some trout fishing and checked out their hatchery before we hit the road. Squirrels and raccoons keep us on our toes with our rubbish bag habits in these parks.

We waved goodbye to Missouri and hello Oklahoma on Monday and drove in the rain all day to reach Oklahoma City for a cold night, 5c, in another parking lot. The Motorhome has a gas furnace that warms us up nicely but the fan runs on 12 volts and unless we are hooked up to power or run the genset it chews the battery pretty quick. RV etiquette dictates you don't run generators in these parking lots so we have to go easy on the furnace.
Tuesday was fine and as soon as we left Oklahoma City we started to see these billboards advertising a free 72 oz steak at the Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo. The boys started winding me up about it so I fasted through the day in preparation.
This steak was free only if you ate it plus a shrimp cocktail, dinner roll, side salad and baked potato in less than 1 hour. Otherwise you pay $1 per ounce. Well I couldn't back down now so after signing the waiver accepting how it was cooked and tasted, ok'ing photos and spruiking, they sat me up on stage with a clock and half a cow they called a steak. After 45 minutes I had managed to eat all the sides and about of the steak. I knew if I tried to keep going I would waste what I had managed to eat, so I pulled the pin, much to the boy's dismay as they were cheering me on confident dad could do it. The fact they offered to pay if I failed helped them there too. Expecting a fairly big bill after failing the challenge, the waitress told us a gentleman in the restaurant had picked up the tab for our table and all we had to pay was the $72 which included a free t-shirt, 3 cowboy hats, a limo ride home and a doggy bag with enough steak for a couple more meals. We had a great night. 'Till the next installment,
Bye for now, lots of love, The McGregors-5.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


allardicefamily on

Hugs from the Allardices
Pics are great, and looking forward to your next newsy letter.

mcgregors on

WOW Exciting stuff!
They sure make big in the U.S. (Giants, that is!)
We are loving our joy-ride down the old Route 66
with you. Sending lots of love and good wishes
as you travel on. Grumpa & Nanna XXXXX

kristen-tyler on

Love and hugs from Benalla, Vic
Hello there to our favourite travelling family. Lovely photo's I'm turning green with envy :-)
Look forward to hearing all the news when you get a chance.
Lots of love
Kristen & Tyler

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: