One big National Sandbox

Trip Start Mar 10, 2012
Trip End Aug 11, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Colorado
Sunday, July 8, 2012

July 8 - by Katelyn

Today we went to Great Sand Dunes National Park

The first thing that we did today was start driving up to Pikes Peak. When we got to the base of the mountain, there was a little toll booth that made you pay 12 dollars for each adult, and 5 dollars for each kid.  We were not expecting a tool booth that made you pay per person, so we decided not to go up because it was foggy out anyway, and we would not even be able to see a thing.  Instead of going up the mountain, we went to a place called Santa's Workshop.  There, we walked around the gift shop.  Since we did not see anything, we went to Olive gardens for a late lunch.  There, I had a feast of pasta, bruschetta, salad, breadstick, broccoli, and chocolate covered fried bread with powdered sugar.  Then, after dinner mom went to the airport.  I was sad to see her go, but we would see her again soon.  Then, we started our 3 hour drive to Great Sand Dunes National Park.  When we got there, we went to our campsite and went to bed.

July 9 - by Katelyn

Today we walked up to the highest sand dune in America at Great Sand Dunes National Park, CO

Today we climbed up the tallest dune in America.  To get up to the tallest dune was pretty hard because we had climb up a bunch of other small dunes to get to the top.  While we were walking I noticed that it was getting harder and harder to climb up because it was getting really steep.   It was 1.5 miles to the top of the tallest dune.  I was the first one up the dune. After I got up, Madison got to the top, then Emma finished, and Dad came last.  Usually when you got to the top you jump for joy and say YAY! VICTORY, but here we did not do that. We said ouch because it was so windy at the top and the windblown sand was smacking our legs and faces, and it felt like a bunch of needles were hitting me at once.  The worst part was that the sand would not stop even for one second.  Finally I had enough and I went back down the dunes.  The way back down was also 1.5 miles, but I enjoyed it a lot more than the way up.  On the way down I ran down the dunes, and I did not even get tired !   I really liked running down because every time you took a step your feet would sink into the sand making it feel like a roller coaster that you would have to work for and control.  About halfway back down the mountain I saw "sand hurricanes."  These looked just like hurricanes, but they were made out of sand!  It was so cool because the wind would blow the sand in circles, and the “sand hurricanes” would move up the hill with ease.  I even saw the center of the “hurricane” that was still!   When I saw this I thought that it was the coolest thing but I am really disappointed because dad could not take any pictures of it.  Once we got down to the bottom, we took a shower and went to the Visitors Center.  While we were here we finished our JR Ranger books.  then we went back to the RV and ate dinner.  We were going to go to a ranger program, but it started to rain so we could not go. 
Slideshow Report as Spam

My Review Of The Place I've Seen

Loading Reviews
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Comments on

Amazing photos Mike!!
Best part is running down those dunes.
They will never forget it.

Grammy on

Now that looked like fun! Beautiful pictures too!! Gotta go----it's thunder & lightening out here!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: