Petrified Forest

Trip Start Mar 10, 2012
Trip End Aug 11, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Arizona
Monday, May 28, 2012

May 28 – by Emma

Today when I woke up the car was moving because we were on the way to the Petrified Forest. Before I tell you about the day, here is how the Petrified Forest was created.  A long, long time ago there was a river that was running through this area. That river carried lots of sticks, and logs.  All of the sticks at one point in time were covered in layer after layer of sand, creating all of the minerals that were absorbed into the wood. All the different mineral colors cause there to be many colors in the wood.  The wood remained buried for over 200 million of year after the river stopped flowing, and the cells in the wood turned to rock.  Finally, the wood came to the surface many years later when the earth shifted.

When we got to the petrified forest we went on a hike. That hike was called Big Tree Hike. We saw many lizards on the hike, and my dad got really good close up picture of them on the petrified wood. We also saw many petrified trees, and the trees looked really pretty with all the colors on them.  I like this petrified wood better than what we saw in North Dakota because there was much more color in them. Once we were done the hike we drove to a place where we could do another hike. That trail was really cool because we got to see many petrified rocks with crystals in them. My favorite color crystal was the black one because they were really shiny, and small. Also on the hike is saw a little rock that was really pretty, but I couldn't take it home because every month a ton of rocks are stolen from the park!  Next we went to a place where you were able to get good pictures of petroglyphs that were made by the Indians. We think we know what they mean, but no one knows for sure. On the way out I saw something funny: a lady that was eating a sandwich, and a little later a raven came close up to her, and started flapping his wings. This made the poor grandma drop her sandwich and run to her husband, and the happy raven flew off with her sandwich.  Next, we went to the Visitors Center to get our badge and patch. After that we went in the RV, and drove to Albuquerque, New Mexico. The drive was about 3 hours. When we got to the campsite we went to bed.    
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: