Oregon Caves National Park (by Emma)

Trip Start Jun 02, 2011
Trip End Sep 25, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Oregon
Saturday, August 13, 2011

Oregon Caves National Monument

After breakfast we first drove to the Redwoods Visitor Center to get our Junior Ranger badge for Redwoods.  After we got our badge and certificate, we drive to Oregon Caves National Monument.  It was a 40 minute drive up a very windy road.  When we got to the caves, we first ate lunch.  Next, we had to attend a 5 minute talk about the White Nose Bat Syndrom that is killing many of the bats on the East Coast.  They are trying to stop the disease from spreading to the bats in Oregon.

We walked from the parking area up to the Ranger station and got our Junior Ranger books.  We signed up for a tour of the caves with the Ranger.  We had to wait about an hour, so we were able to work on our Junior Ranger book.  When it was our turn, we put on our jackets and went with the ranger.  First, we learned about the cave discovery.  The first explorer had a dog named Bruno who found the opening, and ran into the cave.  When you go into the cave you can feel it get much colder because it is about 45 degrees.  I expected the cave to be even cooler and also scarier, but it was not too bad.

When we went in we saw many different formations from the ceiling called stalactites and stalagmites.  A stalagmite is a formation building up from the ground, and a stalactite is a formation hanging down from the ceiling.  These 2 formations can join to form a single column.  Another thing we learned is that some people got married in the cave.  They got all dressed up like cave people and had the priest perform the ceremony.

We were told not to touch the walls of the cave because the oil from you hands does not wash off the walls of the cave and it makes a bad stain that looks black. 

When we were done our tour and stepped outside, it felt really warm!  We then walked down to the visitors center and got our Junior Ranger badge.  We then drove back down the steep road, and drove to a Walmart so we could stock up.  After we shopped, we went to the airport to pick up my mom who was flying in from Philadelphia for 2 weeks.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: