Spanish Town Part 2

Trip Start Aug 05, 2011
Trip End Aug 28, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Jamaica  ,
Friday, August 19, 2011

I must of haven fallen asleep at some point as I was woken up about 0530 by the Cockerels out side doing their wake up call. I now also look like a mosquito five course banquet. I think the kids have about 3 bites between them!

During the night it was really eerie in the pitch black of the country side laying there and hearing the many things flying and buzzing past your ears, lightly flicking your face as they decide which part of you they were going to eat first. I lost count of the amount of times I had to flick things from around my face as they buzzed past my ear.

Anyway after my early morning wake up call I left Kaleb sleeping away. I went into the bathroom and had a shave and a very refreshing wash as in the country they have real men, as running hot water is purely for wimps and English men in hotels. I certainly felt wide awake after that :0).

I went outside and Junior was also up so we took a walk down the lane and he showed me the house next door he was helping his Mum (MIss Daisy) and sister build. At 0600 it was already beginning to feel too hard to do anything even walk for 10 minutes. 

Breakfast was at 0900 and we hard corn meal and plantain porridge, fried dumplings and sardines, tea and fruit juices. K once again ate more than me and wanted more but we had to ration him. I think the buffet all inclusive style living had gone to his head.

After breakfast we all took a walk again down to Miss Cox’s house who was about 3 houses down the lane. A 10 minute walk that felt like half an hour in the heat. Miss Cox was going to finish off Kaisha’s hair. By the time we got back we were fit for nothing with the heat!!
All the kids (4 of them now) spent a lot of the morning and afternoon running around outside, causing mayhem with the poor animals and generally screaming the neighbourhood down.

K fell over at one point and was screaming his head off when he saw what appeared to be some blood. “Blood, Blood, Blood” he screamed as he bounced up and down, the adults did their best to hold back the laughter at an English child with the tinniest of grazes lol. 15mins later and a Handy Manny plaster on his thumb he was back outside ready for action. I now truly believe his sister has been giving him drama lessons.

At one point to calm the kids down and give the animals a break, all the kids huddled round my iPad and watched “Despicable Me” the movie.

Lunch was again a feast fit for a king or a tourist at an all inclusive hotel. We knew that all the food was purely for our benefit and we appreciated it. But way way to much as we do not eat lots generally. We had curry, pumpkin rice, steam fish, tomatoes and salad. Mr Carl kept goading me on to eat more but I had to tell him I was truly stuffed and did not eat lots at the best of times. K, yep you guessed it was eating for England. Perhaps the little man felt he had to get his monies worth! He certain is doing that back at the hotel lol.

It was quite a sad fair well when leaving late afternoon. Poor Jessica was in floods of tears and wanted to leave as well. Poor Romaine had to go back in doors as he began to well up and not cool for a young boy of 9 years old.
It was a rough, scary journey home as the taxI we took from Spanish Town had a driver who flew one of the jets in the movie “Top Gun”. Sadly he had lost all his wing men and was now flying solo! We could appreciate why. Amazingly enough his handle was “Live to tell the tale” :0).

Well I thought the 20 people in our last taxI was bad, this time we had 25! I seriously could not move an inch. Plus I had K on me with all his eating recently, he was a dead weight on me as he was asleep in minutes and sweating badly. Junior ended up with a little girl of about 2 years old on his lap for the whole journey.

To top it all we had torrential rain, yet “Live to tell the tale” was still buzzing the tower at top speed. In fact we nearly had a serious accident as we were flying at speed up hill going round a very sharp bend whilst a certain driver was playing with the radio. Brakes were applied, bodies shunted forward and the van aqua-planed in the wet and skidded to a stand still. The verbal abuse that flew still did not deter him. One poor lady screamed out “Me av two pickney fe live fa you know!”. 

When at one point he stopped to let a lady on board, I was looking on in disbelief, where on earth was she going to sit! When she refused to get on and he carried on along his way. Passenger were heard saying “A wa wrang wid ar, too pash to squeeze up”. I think she just wanted to live!

Sadly the air con did not work very well in this taxI as it rained so heavily windows had to be closed some of the journey. By now my t-shirt was dripping wet with K squashed up on me as his little head bobbed up and down on the journey. My knee was the worst it had been as my leg was stuck in a 45 degree position and could not be changed or moved. It was so painful!!

I seriously had no idea how we all managed to get out the van once we reached Ocho Rios. If it was not for K being stuck to me and my legs and knee not being my own I would of knelt down and kissed the ground!

At the hotel drive entrance way we said goodbye to Junior who had a little way home to go yet and we headed straight to the hotel bar. We were all so parched and dehydrated. Even though we had bottled water with us on the taxi, there was no way of physically getting them out of bags or drinking them.

It was then up to our room to have a nice shower to wash away the heat and journey of the day before our evening meal.

Late evening after dinner I went back downstairs to have a drink and go online and carry on with yesterdays blog. As the evening wore on I met a lovely lady called Naz, she was 29 and from Rochdale near Manchester. We got chatting and had a few drinks. Before I knew it, it was 0200, the bar had closed a while back and we had been up all evening chatting. When I got back to the room poor Ericka was beside herself! She had been worrying and was trying to call me on my mobile (my phone was in the room) oooops!

Anyway I got to bed and slept like a lamb for the first time here and did not wake until 0800 :0). The gym did not see me that morning!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Lyn on

Chris, brilliant brilliant blog. Loved the last two days. Yes those buses are mad, they don't drive on the right or the left, they just drive... mad....30 of you around a table and 4 generation, that's really cool, so lucky. Our taxi driver wouldn't turn on the A/C as he used to say "the A/C its bad for MPG" .. open the windows then .. fast hot air better than still hot air !!! up till 0200 in the bar ... you are starting to chill, good on you.

Catherine on

Loving the Blog Chris! Cannot wait until the next installment. :-) It has brightened up my day.

mcfarlne on

Hi Catherine, Its really good to hear from you and so glad you are reading our little mini adventure :0). I will endeavour to give you a call when i am back as been too long. Off to Dunns River Falls later to climb the waterfall. I am a little worried about my knee holding out but i will strap it up and fingers crossed :0) x

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: