Roo time

Trip Start Jul 25, 2012
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
On the side of the road

Flag of Australia  , Western Australia,
Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Bungle Bungle National Park had been on fire for some time creating a haze for kms and sometimes it was difficult to see the mountains at all.The weather outside was still up in the high 30's and I was sweltering inside as usual, so much so I got rather blase about even taking photos, even less getting out of the van to do so. It was all too much effort, even the ice I was buying wasn't lasting more than a couple of hours, the heat was getting to me.
Once again I was in need of petrol and the sun was going down, so I knew I had to find a spot to pull up for the night. I pulled into Warnum servo and filled up, asked if they had ice as the fridge just wasn't coping and food was going off. The only ice they had was a 10kg bag...too big for my little cooler bag. So next step was: would you have any in the bar? BAR! this is a no alcohol town...oh well, guess it's warm water again. Does beat warm wine though.
I was becoming anxious about the fact dusk was approaching quickly and roos are notorious at this time of night, but I have to get to the next stop.
AH! Finally found one about and pulled in. About 10 minutes later this car drives in and starts doing circles around the camp site...not liking this as I'm the only person there. Ok girls we're outa here.
Night is falling rapidly and my eyes are scowering the one of those 'clowns' at a side show you know the ones with their mouths open, except my mouth was closed...Until!
This stupid kamikaze kangaroo hops out in front of me and wam bang it's all over sam! All I saw was the colour of it's eyes, I didn't even get the chance to break, then I heard this horrifying noise coming from the motor and while pulling off the road quickly turned the motor off and got out to inspect the damage.FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARK!
Headlight gone and so was half the grill, at this stage I had no idea what the noise was, but thought it was the radiator.
I downed a warm wine...berk... to calm the nerves that had just been shattered by the unbearable loud thud on the front of my van and tried to reassess the situation. That didn't help as it was dark and I couldn't figure out what I was going to do because my phone doesn't work. grrrrrrr. So I rang 000. They thought I was some nut case as I couldn't answer their questions, 'where are you"?. Just south of Warmun about 50-60km from Halls Creek. "What is the nearest cross roads"? You have got to be kidding me I am on the Northern Highway somewhere between Halls Creek and Warnum I'm alone, I've just hit a roo and my van is parked precariously on the edge of the highway and I don't have phone reception, that's why I rang 000 to get assistance.Long story cut short as it goes on for hours like this.
So finally two hours later, two police officers arrive to check out the situation. He in turn says there isn't much he can do and organises a tow truck, but did explain to me that I was 110kms from Halls Creek. This is going to cost me an arm and a leg that's for sure. The van was pushed to a safer place and the officers took off for the night asssuring me that the towie would be there early in the morning. Five o'clock I'm up and having breakfast and the waiting game began.By 9am it was getting bloody hot in the direct sun and the water was getting hotter and hotter and almost undrinkable. By 10am I was furious and decided to stop the first car going north. Yeah! A lady stopped and I asked her to PLEASE stop at the police station and inform them I was still waiting. Another hour goes by and a couple turn around and asked if I was ok. I told them of my predicament and he said he would check the damage for me. My GOD he is a modern day Mcgyver. My automatic transmission cooler had been smashed not the radiator, but the fan had hit a clamp which had made the almighty noise, so he bypassed the cooler and joined the hose to the other one with a pen and a piece of tube. While he was doing this the officers arrived and where stunned that I was still out in the scorching heat, gave me a dozen bottles of water and immediately rang Halls Creek and blasted them. I on the other hand was very grateful they didn't come as it saved me a fortune. The couple followed me to Halls Creek where I bought proper hosing and he fixed it up for me...his wife gave me a sandwhich and a drink. I was so grateful for their help.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: