"Who said rugby was a rich mans game...!"

Trip Start Oct 04, 2004
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Fiji  ,
Saturday, November 13, 2004

Leaving the island the next morning it was hard to feel as disappionted as leaving Nananu. We enjoyed Beachcomber a lot but it was far to touristy for our liking, espiecally coming from the complete opposite at Nananu. Maybe it would have been different if we went to Beachcomber first but who knows. To show you how much we preferred Nananu, Rob actaully changed his flights so he missed out on going to the Cook Islands (another set of islands in the Pacafic) instead deciding to return back to Nananu for another week!

We were flying out the next day, so instead of staying on the island and paying a fortune for fruit salad we decided to head back to the Nadi Bay hotel where we had stayed the night before. We were gladly given the same 3 berth room with air con, so once again I collapsed onto the bed. I hadn't noticed it the first time we stayed here, but just behind the hotel was the airport. I now knew why this hotel was so cheap, as it was directly in the flight path. If you have ever seen a video clip of the beach in Spain where the plane flys metres above it, you can imagine what it was like here! Luckily not many flights fly into Fiji, but when they did, it gave everyone sunbathing a big shock!

You might remember a my first Fiji entry saying we stayed in the same hotel as the Kiwi rugby team? Well today they were playing their final match against Fiji not far from the hotel, about 30mins taxi ride. All eager to get out of the hotel, me Dan and Rob as well as 2 other english guys jumped into a taxi and headed there. Ive only been to one rugby match before and that was at Twickenham, a little bit different to the Fiji stadium we arrived at. Instead of all the rich rugby fans you see in London, there were thousands of locals creating a carnival experience ive never seen at a sporting match.

We paid the measly F$12 (about 4 quid) for the top of the range seats (we thought we'd treat ourselves) and entered the stadium to find our seats. We were treated to, what we thought were much better than the local cheerleaders you get at Southend United matches, a group of tradional Fijian dancers. They really got the crowd going with their energetic dancing! (as you can see from the video).

Long story short, Fiji kicked the All Blacks arse by about 40 points, so you can imagine the spirit of all the fans afterwards. We made our way out of the stadium in s desperate search for a taxi. Maybe Fiji is similar to Twickenham as trying to catch a taxi afterwards was as easy as catching one on New years eve! Out of knowhere a local bus turned up, although obviously full, the driver beckoned us on so everyone aboard willingly budged up making the seats 3-man instead of 2!

We all crammed on and sat down, all getting a seat somehow apart from Dan, having to stand instead! I sat down next to 2 indian boys who were both wearing really bad fake england shirts, ironically the same shirt that I was wearing that day. I was a bit surprised why everyone else was getting talked to by their new seating companions apart from me, until I realised my two were completely deaf! But I need fret, it was literally 5 minutes before I was 'having a conversation'.

For nearly an hour we sat there 'talking' by either using hand signals or writing on the back of the chair with our fingers! It has had to have been the hardest thing I have ever done, but we managed to find out so much about each other. I found out that they were both 17 and had been to watch the rugby that day, although they preferred to play football. One of them was actaully injured as he was tackled badly by a player from Suva last week! They lived in Nadi but travelled every Sunday for church on this bus. One of the guys sister lives in Canada, but he couldn't go there as he's scared of flying! We spoke about where I was from, where I had travelled and where I was going to . It was really hard work but at the end of it I left the 2 lads very happy. It was one of those experiences you will never forget.

So that was Fiji in 2 weeks. For some stupid reason, all flights out of Fiji leave in the middle of the night, so we had to keep ourselves entertained until 2am. We made friends with 3 American college girls which made the boredom a little less arduous! Whilst trying to keep ourselves entertained, we noticed an advert on the noticeboard. It was from a captain looking for crew for his boat to sail to Australia leaving the following week. Although very tempted we had a flight to catch... next up New Zealand!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: