Quad Biking & Sandboarding

Trip Start Jul 17, 2010
Trip End Sep 19, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Namibia  ,
Monday, September 6, 2010

Nice sleep in this morning then 8:30 pickup for quadbiking even though the office was about 100m away lol. Went with Tania, Paul & Jo along with 4 middle aged Americans. After reading the warning about manuals getting bogged and the cost of repairs, I decided to go with an auto but turns out they only have about half the power of the manuals and semi-autos unfortunately. For about an hour we headed south, doing a zigzag through the dunes, slowly at first then slowly working up speed though the Americans were still too slow for me.

Had to keep leaving a big gap in front as we were heading towards a big dune as they would slow down instead of gunning it and going up the dune, and I would nearly run into them. We had been given a good briefing on what to do but I had to break the “no overtaking” rule. We had a few photo stops along the way, scenery was pretty cool.

After an hour we stopped for a drink and then lay-down sandboarding down a good sized dune, first from a lower spot then from the very top. We weren’t using proper snowboards but sheets of packing ply with the smooth side waxed, they still worked rather well for laying down, got up a good turn of speed. Only bad thing was that it was a hard slog getting back up to the top - shuttling people with the quads would’ve been a good idea. Been a while since Kili so the fitness was lacking and 3 climbs to the very top were enough for me.

The return leg back to base took another hour and this time I overtook people to get up behind the guide and go a bit faster. I asked about going faster and doing some jumps but turns out we weren’t allowed to do that… though I did accidentally jump it when I had a stack of speed up and hit a ridge that I didn’t really see running down a bank that I went high on and the instructor didn’t. I spent the rest of the way back trying to do fishtails and zigzagging around the place.

We split up after we got back to town, I got some laundry done and sent the olds a postcart... decided against one with Himba women as I didn’t want Dad getting too excited and falling off the lounge and hurting his other wrist lol. A few other people from the truck stopped in at the same internet café I went to update my blog for a while (one with a security gate that the people running it had to hit the buzzer to let you in).

Joined other people for beer at the Brauhouse in town and we ended up staying there for dinner- roast pork with bread dumplings & red cabbage really hit the spot. The barmaid was pretty easy on the eye too.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: