Leaving South East Asia in style

Trip Start Aug 04, 2011
Trip End Jan 04, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
On the plane

Flag of Australia  , Northern Territory,
Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Only Kate could bring a downer to Singapore. We were doing fine! We had a plan for our last day which involved leaving the bags at the hostel, grabbing another nice cheap film, enjoying some popcorn, lunching properly and then heading to the airport just slightly before the flight.

The last full day (the night previous) in Singapore ended with us attacking the Hawker centre just across the road from the Hostel. It's the centre which sits under the Jalan Besar stadium, earlier in the week host to an International Football match between the Phillipines and Singapore. Singapore won 2-0 if you care. The stadium is smaller than a second division English league stadium but its enough for the miniscule Singapore.

Anyway, food. I had myself a spicy chicken noodle soup pot thingy costing a wonderful $3 and Kate had her new favourite, Nasi Lemak which is an odd mix of rice, peanuts, spicy dip, a fried egg, chicken, cucumber and some mini fish. The cost was once again small and I urge anyone worried about budget to take to these places and enjoy. They tend to have more atmosphere than the big marina based bars, and you save 90% of the cost. We had a couple of beers with the meal, once again cheap for Singapore standards – about $7 for a large bottle of Tiger. Just to explain, you look around the different counters which all serve very similar bits and pieces and then just ask for what you want and then its served to you there and then. You take your canteen style tray and find a table. Once settled down a lady (or man) will find you and try and sell you drinks. They deliver to the table and normally with an ice cold glass to go with them. You can also buy drinks up at the counter, but it doesn’t cost any less than table service.

Good meal, and then off to bed. At about midnight, and then 2am, and then 4am, I am woken by a panicky Kate rushing to the loo to throw up twice her body weight. At 4am I got a little fed up and changed sides with her so she didn’t have to climb over me anymore. I’m that kind of hero.
Kate had successfully managed to negotiate 2 months of eating everything offered to her and then falls apart at the seams on our last day in South East Asia.

She continued through till morning until there was nothing left in her – tired and weak we decided she probably wouldn’t get much out of the cinema and so I suggested we just get to the airport and get settled. We were sat down by midday, and Kate was nicely stretched out across the chairs catching up with some of the sleep she had lost.

I popped away for some lunch (Kate wasn’t interested) and at 3pm we checked in early for our flight. Getting rid of the bags was some relief as Kate could barely carry hers and so I was doing most of the lugging. Getting through security was a smiling breeze and the Singaporeans were as nice as they had been throughout our stay. At the other side I got back to the Wi-fi and Kate found somewhere to watch Starworld and catch up with her Americans Next Top Model.

Thankfully Kate got her appetite back and we both had some dinner later in the evening shortly before athe flight. Changi airport has plenty of options and is a very good airport with plenty of facilities.

We boarded the flight late in true Asia style but were rewarded with the news that the flight would be shorter than that advertised. Booking with Quantas, but flying with Jetstar (a low budget partner airline) we weren’t expecting much. Within two minutes of being on the 5 hour flight we had been given a little pack with a blanket, toothbrush, night socks etc – only a few people on board seemed to get them. The Irish man next to us asked us if we flew often with Jetstar as we now had branded gear and looked like some type of airplane geeks. I explained that we were just given them and weren’t sure why. It led us to a nice long conversation about living in Australia as he had emigrated years back and it made my flight a lot easier than recent trips into the air.

Food service looked expensive.

As the service trolley wheeled along, the wonderfully cheery attendant looked down his list and when at us stopped and offered us food and a drink. We accepted and then got worried we were going to get charged a fortune. He then just trollied along and the person next to us asked for some food and had to pay. We were on  a special list. We eventually worked it out. Essentially those booked with Quantas were flying right through to Cairns and on a more expensive package. After our 2 hour stop in Darwin, we were given breakfast and Kate asked if she could keep her blanket, which she has.

Two harmless flights, two good flights in which Kate slept through the majority.

We arrived in Cairns at 9am on the 12th October and the temperature  at  28 degrees Celcius. We quickly found our bus and 'Don’ drove us to the hostel. A'right Cobber!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: