Day 23: Mekong temples

Trip Start Dec 26, 2012
Trip End Jan 29, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

, Louangphabang,
Saturday, January 19, 2013

We both woke up feeling a lot better, our flu bug must finally be dying off. We packed up our stuff in the morning to switch rooms as the hostel staff told us they had our room booked in advance for the next couple days. Unfortunately they miscalculated and didn't have a room for us to move into, so after grabbing some breakfast we looked around for another hostel. We found one at the same price pretty quickly and move all out gear.

We then headed to the local ferry where we grabbed a ride across the Mekong to see some temples on the other side. There was a small road which led through multiple small villages and had temples all along it. The first temple we visited was on a hill, and although crumbling down,had a great view of all of Luang Prabang.

After walking a while we came another temple where a man was selling tickets to. At first we were confused because it was not the temple we thought it was supposed to be but he explained the ticket was for both that temple and the cave temple. He handed us both flashlights as we purchased our tickets and we continued down the path for another 2 minutes. We approached a set of stairs on our left when a group of Laos girls said: "Here's the key to the cave". After getting over the shock we took the key and climbed a set of stairs to a locked door entering into a cave. The key worked and inside was a massive cave opening. We were both sufficiently worried at this point but continued on. We eventually found some lights and toured through the cave. It was a very creepy feeling walking through this cave with the cheap flashlights we were given but in the end was amazing. There was some broken old Buddhas along the way but nothing other than the cave itself was spectacular.

After that we took a wrong road and walked through some farmed and forested area until we eventually made it back to a place we knew. We grabbed the ferry back and went to the chea pest for lunch. Unfortunately the lady has gotten used to us coming and so has started serving other people who come in after us before us... Aka it took about 1.5 hours for us to get food... Maybe we should stop going as much.

We spent the rest of the day reading, napping, and going to markets.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: