I'm on a boat!

Trip Start Apr 16, 2012
Trip End Aug 14, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
On a boat

Flag of Turkey  , Antalya,
Friday, May 25, 2012

6am and we were up and out the door, as we needed to be at the bus stop to make the ferry in time to Demre. We were all so tired and I had come down with Conjunctivitis really bad. My eyes had been stuck together but thanks to Holly’s incredible nursing skills I was back on track. We asked the hotel man to get us a taxi so we wouldn’t be late. 10 minutes later no taxi, I was starting to worry, I went and asked the man again. He rushed off and in seconds was back in his own family car with his whole family rushing to take everything out the back seats to take us to the bus stop! The gentleman had offered to drive us!!! We all bustled in and off we went. We got the bus in time and made our way to Demre. The bus ride was epic with the bus driver cramming about 15 people onto a 12-seater bus. The drive itself was a ridiculous two hours with crazy roads along the coast that wound their way alongside the massive cliffs.

When we finally reached Demree we all hopped off and were met by a random guy from Alaturk cruises who demanded we pay in cash the remainder of our trip. We quickly sorted out some money and before we knew what was going on we were being driven in a van with two Aussies, two Americans and one South Korean. We all started chatting about how we had found out about the cruise and how we had ended up where we were. Before we knew it we were at the harbor ready to embark on a 4 day cruise around the Mediterranean. At this point I had no idea what kind of cruise it was, what size the boat was and I was even surprised as I didn’t realize there would be others on the boat other than the 3 of us!

There were many little boats floating around but I most certainly did not except our tour guide to take us up to the smallest and oldest looking boat in the harbor. I called it and said if that was our boat, I was out! We all got in and only just fit all our bags and each other; the boat was tiny and swaying in the ocean. There was no where to sleep and I was starting to freak out! Our driver didn’t speak English and he couldn’t get the engine started, at this point we were all laughing with no idea what was about to happen. Finally the boat started and drove us into the water, bobbing and rocking I watched our bags nearly fall out the side, I pictured myself diving in to save my thousands of dollars worth of gear.

Before I knew it we drove up to this massive sailing ship, and we pulled up along side and then I realized, we were just being transferred, I was so relieved We got on board and were shown to our room, a tiny little cabin with a bunk style bed and a tiny bathroom. There was room for 18 on the boat with 4 crew but we only had 12 people and 3 crew. I had a look around the boat, it was just beautiful! The boat was 30 foot long with spots to sun bake in the shade or out on the front of the boat. There was a massive big table in the centre with a self-service bar and at the back of the boat was a massive lounge area where you could sit back and relax in the shade with a nice drink. Once aboard we all got settled and the boat too off. We sailed for a little bit then the captain came down and explained all the rules. The main rule I heard was that we would be fed breakfast, lunch and dinner and all we had to do was listen for the bell and our cook would serve up our meals! The only other main rule was don’t jump in while the motor was running! Easy!

There were a mixed bunch of people on the boat, Americans, Australians and the South Korean guy. We all had a quick chat to introduce ourselves and then Holly and I decided to share a bottle of wine with our fellow Australians Kendall and Luke. As we watched the sun go down it was hard not to feel relaxed and completely care free. The bell rang and it was time for dinner, fried boneless chicken with amazing salads was the call for today and the food was incredible! It was cooked fresh on the boat and it tasted so good.

After dinner we were taken around on a dinghy to check out the surrounding islands. We spent quite a while trying to find the famous mountain goats that had been left there many years ago and have now multiplied and live solely on this little island. It took about 10 minutes before I was the first to spot the goat. We were being taken around by one of the other people of the island and our captain was also on board the dingy and I watched on as him and his friends drank a whole bottle of rum! We checked out a cool cave in the island then headed back. After a bit more relaxing our captain told us we should check out a nearby bar that had an outside fire and music to dance too.

The man who had driven us around before in his little dingy picked us all up and took us to his bar. Within seconds I knew it was a ploy to make us all spend money as the drink prices were ridiculous, the music way too loud and the outside fire was not really a fire at all! We soon packed up and left and we were taken to the cave again but this time at night. It was incredible as the plankton had a very soft glow in the night and when we stopped inside it was awesome just to see the little specks of blue in the water. We were taken home and we slept on the gently rocking water.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: